Parodies

This is the place to talk shit! its also where we flush the nonsense

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Veneror

Parodies

Post by Veneror » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 4:58 pm

I'm really weary of people treating all of Metal (or everything in life for that matter) as a parody. It makes me think that people don't really LIVE anymore. Second-hand expression. Media-directed personalities. Not to say that we can't relax and enjoy ourselves and it's not that I automatically pass people off as being this way, but I mean the overall evidence of it throughout society and how disheartening it is. Does ANYONE else feel this way?

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 5:30 pm

Are you too serious like this guy?
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/metalocalypse/

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 5:41 pm

In a way I kinda agree with that article. I'm not a fan of the show.

Maybe I'm just becoming old and grumpy.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 5:52 pm

actually, i tried to watch the show a few times and i just don't find it funny. i thought it would be but i just found it kinda bland.

Veneror

Post by Veneror » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 6:51 pm

holly wrote:Are you too serious like this guy?
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/metalocalypse/
Veneror wrote: Not to say that we can't relax and enjoy ourselves
I guess lacking passion is what I'm talking about. And I think some of what that guy said made sense.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 7:01 pm

Hahaha, I guess the guy who wrote that article just doesn't "get" parody...or humor, for that matter. Golly, a band with growl vocals could never achieve that sort of fame..."not even Metallica" has done it...

Gee, ya think? That's part of the fun of the show, its completely unlikely premise.

I think that article was written a bit before the show developed, based solely on watching the first episode. Contrary to what he said, we know now that several people from the metal community are involved in the show (George 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher, Jeff Loomis, Warrel Dane, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, and others) and that Gene Hoglan is doing drums for the forthcoming Dethklok CD.

So, yeah, I think that guy is wayyy too anal about it. :twisted:

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 9:52 pm

Metal has become cliche.

Code: Select all

A cliché is a phrase, expression, or idea that has been overused to the point of losing its intended force or novelty, especially when at some time it was considered distinctively forceful or novel.
Instead of crying about it, kick things up a notch and do something original and interesting.

btw: I disliked Metalocalypse the first couple times I watched it but now I'm addicted. Once you learn the characters it becomes a lot more funny. If you take offense to the mockery, then you're a tool.

Veneror

Post by Veneror » Fri February 23rd, 2007, 9:59 pm

BoB wrote:Metal has become cliche.

Code: Select all

A cliché is a phrase, expression, or idea that has been overused to the point of losing its intended force or novelty, especially when at some time it was considered distinctively forceful or novel.
Instead of crying about it, kick things up a notch and do something original and interesting.
Good point.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri March 9th, 2007, 11:28 pm

BoB wrote: btw: I disliked Metalocalypse the first couple times I watched it but now I'm addicted. Once you learn the characters it becomes a lot more funny. If you take offense to the mockery, then you're a tool.
It'd be one thing if they were deliberately making fun of the music or the genre, but they're not. There are so many nods to metal, especially extreme metal, that it's clear they know the scene quite well.

A good example is Skwisgar's stage outfit in the ep. that focuses on his instructional guitar TV special. The resemblance to the stage gear worn by Behemoth's Nergal was no coincidence.

BoB

Post by BoB » Sat March 10th, 2007, 10:40 am

WREKage-Paul wrote:
BoB wrote: btw: I disliked Metalocalypse the first couple times I watched it but now I'm addicted. Once you learn the characters it becomes a lot more funny. If you take offense to the mockery, then you're a tool.
It'd be one thing if they were deliberately making fun of the music or the genre, but they're not. There are so many nods to metal, especially extreme metal, that it's clear they know the scene quite well.
See we're both right. They do know the 'scene' quite well. And you say that to back up the idea that they're not deliberately making fun of metal. Put those together and you end up with: metal has become laughable. Cliche. etc.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sat March 10th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Not to mention Brendon Small writes all of the music for the show himself.
I think he knows what he's doing.

Vince

Post by Vince » Sat March 10th, 2007, 2:04 pm

One of the best parts of the show is trying to catch all the inside jokes. Such as the burger chain being called "Dimmu Burger"

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon March 12th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Vince wrote:One of the best parts of the show is trying to catch all the inside jokes. Such as the burger chain being called "Dimmu Burger"
that shit is hilarious!

I haven't seen that many episodes of that show but I think it's great.

as far as people not taking metal seriously, I don't like it when someone makes fun of it in order to get me mad (anyone can say that for whatever they like) but I don't care if they're joking. I hate it when I get flack for a band shirt on marta...things like that.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Blarg!

Post by Blarg! » Tue March 13th, 2007, 3:56 pm

Metalfreak wrote:
Vince wrote:One of the best parts of the show is trying to catch all the inside jokes. Such as the burger chain being called "Dimmu Burger"
that shit is hilarious!

I haven't seen that many episodes of that show but I think it's great.

as far as people not taking metal seriously, I don't like it when someone makes fun of it in order to get me mad (anyone can say that for whatever they like) but I don't care if they're joking. I hate it when I get flack for a band shirt on marta...things like that.
who the fuck do you talk to on marta??!! :lol:

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Tue June 26th, 2007, 2:47 am

Metal is a joke because its taken too serious and people are too uptight. There are exceptions.

elton john rules