what genre was/is the worst for metal.......

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

which genre was worse for metal???

grunge
13%
nu-metal
50%
metalcore
38%

Total votes: 16

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

what genre was/is the worst for metal.......

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri May 19th, 2006, 12:04 am

opinions..........

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 19th, 2006, 4:35 am

all those genres had decent stuff before they became completely over populated by clones of the next band. theres some decent grunge like some stuff by alice in chains, decent groove/nu metal like helmet, good metalcore like prayer for cleansing, earth crisis, day of suffering, etc.....

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Fri May 19th, 2006, 6:25 am

Matt wrote:all those genres had decent stuff before they became completely over populated by clones of the next band. theres some decent grunge like some stuff by alice in chains, decent groove/nu metal like helmet, good metalcore like prayer for cleansing, earth crisis, day of suffering, etc.....
holy shit. a subtle intelligent opinion by Matt.
have you stopped drinking?

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri May 19th, 2006, 9:52 am

I put grunge. When it came out, metal's popularity quickly died. Yeah most of that may have been hair metal but it was still metal. I don't think nu-metal was the worst thing for metal (yeah most of it does suck) but it probably helped alot of those kids who were into it get into heavier bands. and metalcore...I'm not a big fan of most of it but I don't see it as the biggest detriment to metal because as with metal, the people who like metalcore still have to dig for it (in terms of metalcore not getting commercial radio airplay).
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

frankinzombie666

Post by frankinzombie666 » Fri May 19th, 2006, 10:32 am

idk about nu-metal helping,i think most of the nu metal fans moved over to rap after that died
Dont fucking look at me.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Fri May 19th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Matt wrote:all those genres had decent stuff before they became completely over populated by clones of the next band. theres some decent grunge like some stuff by alice in chains, decent groove/nu metal like helmet, good metalcore like prayer for cleansing, earth crisis, day of suffering, etc.....
Whoa...Matt, I think you're going soft.
:shock:

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri May 19th, 2006, 12:50 pm

i basically agree with matt. except i would never lump helmet into nu-metal. but i'd have to say that metalcore has to be the worst for metal overall. nu-metal never really affected underground metal all that much other than just being frustrating. but with metalcore its infiltrated everything for a lot of wrong reasons. it seems like metalcore has some poplularity so now we have a horrible metalcore band on every metal tour. i could go on but i'm in a hurry.

and i'm not at all saying that all metalcore sucks. i think there are actually a few really good metalcore bands that have played throughout the years.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri May 19th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Where's the hair metal option? If there was ever a genre that just collapsed upon itself from too many awful, awful bands imitating each other it was hair metal. I know a lot of us look back on it and it and it's kitschy and funny now, but the music other than the first few bands who were genuinely fn to listen to and playing purely for the have fun and get chicks part of it is still godawful.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Fri May 19th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Metalfreak wrote:I put grunge. When it came out, metal's popularity quickly died. Yeah most of that may have been hair metal but it was still metal. I don't think nu-metal was the worst thing for metal (yeah most of it does suck) but it probably helped alot of those kids who were into it get into heavier bands. and metalcore...I'm not a big fan of most of it but I don't see it as the biggest detriment to metal because as with metal, the people who like metalcore still have to dig for it (in terms of metalcore not getting commercial radio airplay).
Yeah but grunge weeded out the shit and left only the good underground death/black metal bands. Gone were the assholes interested in wearing women's clothing and getting laid.
Hair metal was certainly worse than metalcore is. Metalcore at least is grounded in good music. It's the imitations that suck.
How many shitty black metal bands are there? How many terrible, or just plain boring death metal bands are there? We don't need a Cannibal Corpse rip-off. They do that themselves every single album.
For that matter, black metal has some negative influence, mainly making metalheads take themselves too seriously.
But hair metal, nu-metal, and grunge win for me. I only list grunge because thanks to Kurt Cobain, thousands of nu-metal bands were able to whine about how their dad didn't like them.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri May 19th, 2006, 4:03 pm

frankinzombie666 wrote:idk about nu-metal helping,i think most of the nu metal fans moved over to rap after that died
yeah, I think it goes either way actually. I used to listen to nothing but nu-metal from 7th-10th grade and then I wisened up. Nu-metal didn't actually expose me to death metal or any other sub-genre of metal but when I heard death metal for the first time, I instantly knew that it was a million times better than nu-metal. But I do know of a few cases where nu-metal actually got people to find better metal. And as with what you're saying, yeah I know of a few cases of that too...especially with my brother; he used to listen to nu-metal and some other metal but now he listens to nothing but rap.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri May 19th, 2006, 4:13 pm

BlazeTSU wrote: it seems like metalcore has some poplularity so now we have a horrible metalcore band on every metal tour.
yeah I'm sick of that! Isn't there one on the Slayer tour? I guess it's an attempt at a bigger fan base but I don't think touring with Slayer will get them anywhere (at least with the diehard Slayer fan base and the fact that those fans won't even get to the show until Slayer goes on).

frankinzombie666

Post by frankinzombie666 » Fri May 19th, 2006, 4:26 pm

BlazeTSU wrote:i basically agree with matt. except i would never lump helmet into nu-metal. but i'd have to say that metalcore has to be the worst for metal overall. nu-metal never really affected underground metal all that much other than just being frustrating. but with metalcore its infiltrated everything for a lot of wrong reasons. it seems like metalcore has some poplularity so now we have a horrible metalcore band on every metal tour. i could go on but i'm in a hurry.

and i'm not at all saying that all metalcore sucks. i think there are actually a few really good metalcore bands that have played throughout the years.
true
Dont fucking look at me.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Fri May 19th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Metal.

*ducks*

PorkishMetal

Post by PorkishMetal » Fri May 19th, 2006, 5:47 pm

I agree with Matt. Except for the nu-metal comment. There are a couple really good metalcore bands but I cant think of a SINGLE good numetal band. Theyre all shit IMO. Watery shit.

stalindrummer

Post by stalindrummer » Fri May 19th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Yeah, mixing hardcore and metal is one thing, but mixing metal with RAP....WHAT THE SHIT! FUCK Nu-METAL!