Death Metal documentary on Discovery Channel on now

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Death Metal documentary on Discovery Channel on now

Post by ratanda » Thu September 14th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Apparently it's about death metal music and its links to crime and the occult. They interviewed Glen Benton, and are talking to a guy whose son disappeared. They linked his disappearance to a group of his friends who were in interested in Satannic stuff. And then they went to commercial.

Channel 40 on Comcast.

stalindrummer

Post by stalindrummer » Thu September 14th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Its gay, and so is black metal. If you guys don't like me for not liking black metal, then i insist you suck my balls for being so fucking gay.

Mitch
WREKage Staff

Post by Mitch » Thu September 14th, 2006, 10:03 pm

I thought Glen Benton's comments were appropriate.

Pat

Post by Pat » Thu September 14th, 2006, 10:59 pm

i started watching this. its a bunch of bullshit. and danny, where did black metal come from this? having watched most of this, it was all about death metal.

stalindrummer

Post by stalindrummer » Thu September 14th, 2006, 11:47 pm

Pat wrote:i started watching this. its a bunch of bullshit. and danny, where did black metal come from this? having watched most of this, it was all about death metal.
they used the term death metal pretty loosely and they mostly talked about black metal or at least they should have just talked about black metal. which is gay and i no longer tolerate its gayness. we've already had our black metal talks pat.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Fri September 15th, 2006, 10:53 am

I like how they only bands they showed were Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel and Slayer...and Mayhem. Would have been cool to see more underground bands on there, but I guess it doesn't make sense to show bands who maybe sell a few thousand copies of each album. When you sell as many records as Slayer or even Deicide of course you're going to get a few whacko fans, but I think these people were fucked up in the first place.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri September 15th, 2006, 11:00 am

AmoebicDysentery wrote: When you sell as many records as Slayer or even Deicide of course you're going to get a few whacko fans, but I think these people were fucked up in the first place.
good point!

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri September 15th, 2006, 12:35 pm

It's really interesting to see when this kinda crap pops up. I haven't seen this yet but from what's been described this sounds like documentaries I saw during the Reagan era. Republicans in office, religious right builds up, music = satan = crime.
AmoebicDysentery wrote:I like how they only bands they showed were Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel and Slayer...and Mayhem. Would have been cool to see more underground bands on there
Actually underground or not is pointless since you're right on about these people being improperly wired from the start. Like the shit I saw 20 years ago could have covered decent metal but instead highlighted led zepplin, sabbath, ac/dc, etc and was all labeled "Heavy Metal". It's meant to scare the general public into a more conservative stance. If Slayer is causing crime then people like you apparently are a total menace to society.

The positive outlook is that this kinda mentality ironically sparks better music.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Fri September 15th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Still in jail and on death row because of hysteria shit like this:
West Memphis Three
Lords of Chaos also has a good amount of material about the case.

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Sat September 16th, 2006, 2:58 am

I bet this show scared the crap out of alot of parents. The kid in the Myrkskog shirt sure could play for only being 13. I thought it was funny how the narrator kept calling Slayer the "most popular Death Metal band of all time." Overall, it was pretty entertaining.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat September 16th, 2006, 10:12 am

my dad actually called me and told me to turn the TV to the Discovery Channel...so I watched it. I actually read about the Beasts of Satan case awhile back...I was doing a paper for school. It's assholes like that that give metal a real bad name. It happens in any genre (not necessarily satanic killings) but I guess since alot of metal is in one way or another linked to Satanism, it scares more people.
I thought it was funny how the narrator kept calling Slayer the "most popular Death Metal band of all time."
yeah that was funny.

I didn't know that Slayer went through a lawsuit either. I called my dad back during this bit and I had to tell him that Slayer's lead singer is Christian and that the lyrics aren't serious...my dad kinda figured that anyway but the show was making a big deal about Slayer. Anyone who takes Slayer's lyrics literally is an idiot.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sat September 16th, 2006, 11:49 am

i haven't actually seen the show but i'll be on the lookout for it. i like watching other peoples opinions.

Mitch
WREKage Staff

Post by Mitch » Tue September 19th, 2006, 11:10 pm

E.J. Diarrheaspray wrote:The kid in the Myrkskog shirt sure could play for only being 13.
Yeah they said he had been playing for only 2 years! I was like WTF.
This issue is comparable with the way people attack video games on the grounds that they cause violence. Obviously these forms of entertainment cannot be blamed when the customers commit a felony.

donny

Post by donny » Wed September 20th, 2006, 3:18 am

dayicide :lol:

Pat

Post by Pat » Sun October 8th, 2006, 11:31 pm

i saw this a while ago. but my parents just watched this tonight. my mom basically freaked out. i had to talk to her for like 2 hours cause of this. to tell her that its just a scare tactic and shit.