Besides metal what else do you like?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu July 29th, 2004, 3:58 pm

ah yes, david allen coe! i left him out unintentionally. that dude is great. he even plays an explorer with the stars and bars on it..........thats badass!

dumpVokillist

Post by dumpVokillist » Fri July 30th, 2004, 11:09 pm

i like 80s synth pop

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat July 31st, 2004, 1:23 pm

I like
GORILLAZ
SNEAKER PIMPS
LEN
THIRD EYE BLIND
KOTTONMOUTH KINGS
DELINQUENT HABITS

dumpVokillist

Post by dumpVokillist » Tue August 3rd, 2004, 12:04 am

hahaha delinquent habits.

"tres delinquentes"

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon August 9th, 2004, 2:23 am

Pardon me as I slide into the topic a bit late.... :huh:

I like a lot of stuff besides straight-out metal. Check out my Internet radio-show playlists for a cross-section of stuff I've played, everything from Ozric Tentacles (unique space/synth/world/reggae hybrid band from the UK) to The Changelings (goth/world music from here in Atlanta). <a href='http://seismic.paulcashman.com' target='_blank'>http://seismic.paulcashman.com</a>

I like a lot of 80s hair-metal since I grew up with it, and let's face it, despite all the hairspray (and bad press since then), there was a lot of talent involved. I like the full range of classic rock (Rush, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Billy Thorpe, Triumph, etc.) and was at the Rush show last weekend. Like I said, I grew up with this stuff. :)

Before taking the left-hand path and wandering down the growly-vox road, I was mostly into progressive metal, beginning with Queensryche back in the day, then Dream Theater, Symphony X, Superior from Germany, and then a seemingly endless array of bands that sounded like the above. I still like those bands and many along that sphere, but we rarely get requests for them. Sometimes I sneak a song in anyway. B)

Thanks to making friends in the goth "scene" (I'm not sure how that got started with me), I like some goth bands, but not all. Sisters of Mercy, some Bauhaus, for older bands...and newer bands who I know, like The Cruxshadows from Florida, Bella Morte from Virginia, (a bunch of metalheads stuck in a bill-paying goth/punk/death-rock band), The Last Dance from California, the aforementioned Changelings (r.i.p.), and several more.

I have nothing against present-day commercial-radio metal bands like Linkin Park, KoRn, etc. -- cool that they got their big breaks, I won't hold that against anyone -- but they're not the reason why WREKage exists.....

I CAN say that I don't like hardly any rap or hip-hop. Tim tells me that the OutKast guys are pretty cool. That's nice. When bigtime hip-hop artists have to hire an entire backing band to go out on tour -- y'know, make actual music, in front of people -- there's something wrong with that "musical" scene.

As for country, years of eating at Waffle House have built up in me a certain immunity to country music, and many of the artists in the field have undeniable talent, but it's not a genre I'm overly familiar with. Sorry, DarkWolfen. :D
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Mon August 9th, 2004, 3:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Aug 9 2004, 02:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Aug 9 2004, 02:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> As for country, years of eating at Waffle House have built up in me a certain immunity to country music, and many of the artists in the field have undeniable talent, but it's not a genre I'm overly familiar with. Sorry, DarkWolfen. :D [/quote]
Paul, maybe you should apologize to Dan too, he's surprisingly more into the country outlaws than I thought he was or would be. Being not familiar with country is purely by choice and not because of accessibility. Country is easy to get to, easy to discover. Its easy to love, tolerate or hate, its just comes down to what you want out of your music experience. :sm0k3:

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Mon August 9th, 2004, 3:30 pm

Gorillaz are cool...I must admit, in times of social intoxication, nothing soothes and complements the mellow atmosphere like the Gorillaz.

I do not like Techno music, nor any studio-produced pop music outfits.

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Wed August 11th, 2004, 12:15 pm

lets see...portishead, prince, poe, tenacious d, some edm stuff, a lot of hardcore
play your gloom axe

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Mon August 30th, 2004, 6:38 pm

David Allen Coe is great , good mention Dan

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Tue August 31st, 2004, 6:07 am

I like bizarre music...stuff like Secret Chiefs 3, Mr. Bungle, stuff that changes styles at a drop of a hat :wh4cky:.

chokeslam

Post by chokeslam » Tue August 31st, 2004, 3:27 pm

Elvis Presley, Lisa Marie Presley, CDB, Waylon Jennings, Skynyrd, All Southern Rock

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue August 31st, 2004, 4:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fukrholestkhed+Aug 11 2004, 12:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fukrholestkhed &#064; Aug 11 2004, 12:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> lets see...poe[/quote]
"Johnny, Angry Johnny, this is Jezebel in Hell
I wanna kill you, I wanna blow you...away" :o

My sister liked this at one time I remember. :3y3s: :m1c:

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Sun September 5th, 2004, 4:04 pm

E.J...about Mr. Bungle...
I've owned their first self-titled, and I bought Disco Volante. Loved the first, but trashed Disco Volante.
Now, my question is, what about California?

BoB

Post by BoB » Sun September 5th, 2004, 8:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WuDi, w/o competition+Sep 5 2004, 05:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WuDi, w/o competition @ Sep 5 2004, 05:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> E.J...about Mr. Bungle...
I've owned their first self-titled, and I bought Disco Volante. Loved the first, but trashed Disco Volante.
Now, my question is, what about California? [/quote]
California is kinda so-so. I guess a concept album of sorts that's mostly like slow beach music. There are a couple weird (good) songs but they're the minority. Probably an obligation to a record deal...

I'd recommend their demos. OU818, Bowel of Chiley, Goddammit I Love America, and The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny are all pretty kick ass. I have them all as MP3s - I could be bribed to post them somewhere or burn a cd.

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Sun September 5th, 2004, 8:48 pm

Bribed with what, exactly?
I can give a mean enema.