Roger Ebert tells Metallica to call it a day

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sat July 31st, 2004, 1:55 pm

Roger Ebert's review of the new Metallica documentary, is an interesting, brief read. You can check it out <a href='http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/w ... ca30f.html' target='_blank'>here</a>. Even though I will venture to say, Roger Ebert doesn't even have the Black Album, he says in his review, that as a band, they should probably just call it a day. Nice call Roger, nice call. :m3t4l:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun August 1st, 2004, 12:11 pm

Someone should tell Roger Ebert to call it a day and go back to his original job of being the body double for the Michelin Man.

Here's one written from a metalhead's perspective:

<a href='http://www.metaljudgment.com/summary/me ... _skom.html' target='_blank'>http://www.metaljudgment.com/summary/me ... om.html</a>

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon August 2nd, 2004, 10:54 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Aug 1 2004, 12:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Aug 1 2004, 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Someone should tell Roger Ebert to call it a day and go back to his original job of being the body double for the Michelin Man. [/quote]
HAHA, OWNED! :f1ng3r:

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Mon August 2nd, 2004, 11:26 am

Metallica are a big joke..this has to be a great comedy.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Mon August 2nd, 2004, 1:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-AmoebicDysentery+Aug 2 2004, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AmoebicDysentery @ Aug 2 2004, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Metallica are a big joke..this has to be a great comedy. [/quote]
If its a comedy its about as funny as a Greek tragedy. :wh4cky:

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon August 2nd, 2004, 3:01 pm

I actually saw the film yesterday. I intend to write a commentary on the film for the website. In truth though, I agree very much with the reviewer that Greg linked. After seeing the film, I respect the band more and less at the same time. Interestingly enough, everyone surrounding Metallica ends up looking pretty good at the end of the day, except Lars. I have an incredible amount of respect for Kirk as a person, and I have no idea how he put up with those two (James and Lars) for all those years. Anyway, I'll get into more details later on.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue August 3rd, 2004, 2:20 pm

i thought the movie was awesome! but then again i'm a metalligeek. but i think that it showed a lot of insight.....it showed how filthy rich they all were, but it also showed how they get forced to do stupid stuff by their management and record labels. and eventhough lars seems like a prick, i thought it was cool that he is totally a prick. he isn't just a little one, he is the kinda guy that is 3 foot tall and bulletproof. he didn't seem to take anyones BS and that says a lot.....he knows he is a jackass and thats just who he is.

i think anyone that is in a band or anyone who is trying to start a band can sympathize with the stuff in the movie. its really hard to keep a band going and all looking the same direction and it would be especially hard to do it as one of the biggest bands ever. sure, st. anger sucked......but they did it b/c they wanted to...not for money, the movie shows that they are all richer then they'll ever need to be so they don't need new albums or movies to make them rich.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed August 4th, 2004, 8:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Aug 3 2004, 03:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Aug 3 2004, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i think anyone that is in a band or anyone who is trying to start a band can sympathize with the stuff in the movie. [/quote]
I think the film should be mandatory viewing for anyone in a metal band. There are so many lessons about band dynamics that can be learned from watching these guys. If it weren't for Kirk Hammett, Metallica would have probably broken up many years ago. He may not be the best guitarist in the world, but I have a lot of respect for the guy after seeing the film.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Fri August 6th, 2004, 11:03 pm

I want to see there, where is it playing at?

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sat August 7th, 2004, 3:33 am

<!--QuoteBegin-TheKshatriya+Aug 7 2004, 12:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheKshatriya @ Aug 7 2004, 12:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I want to see there, where is it playing at? [/quote]
I saw it at the Regal 24 Cinemas.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon August 9th, 2004, 1:52 am

Darnit, I was all set to ignore this film, as I've ignored everything 'Tallica has done since Load (not that it was good, but it proved that everything thereafter could safely be ignored. :o

Now I'm thinking I should go see it.

And I'm not surprised Kirk ends up looking good (or at least, incredibly tolerant) in the world of Metallica; I knew him way back in the days when they were still cool, and he always seemed like a decent sort. WREKage-Tim knew (knows) Jason quite well at one point, too. Oh, the stories we could tell. Suffice it to say that they were really cool as a band and to their fans once -- deliberately cool, taking time in their schedule to talk to fans outside after shows.

Later, aside from Jason, this practice declined.

So did Metallica.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM