A note about arguing about bands

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu July 8th, 2004, 8:35 pm

It's inevitable that all of us gonna disagree at some point about what's death metal vs. black metal, what's grindcore vs. what isn't, or even what's metal vs. what isn't. That's perfectly fine and should make for some interesting discussions, and I expect sometime in the near future that quite a few topics will eventually evolve into arguments over "what is" vs. "what isn't".

However, I would like to ask everyone to keep your arguments on track and music related, and don't let topics degenerate into pointless flame wars trying to show off whose e-penis is bigger (or e-breasts to include the random girl or two who may have mistakenly come here I suppose... I think that's all you girls compare sizes of and get jealous about). I know we're all internet tough guys and we'd all kick each other's asses and have relations of a sexual nature with each other's moms etc. if we were to step out from behind the computer, but please keep all that to a minimum. I don't want a forum full of dumbasses spouting off "this band sucks LOL" in every single band-related thread and making pointless personal attacks on people who do happen to like a certain band or style. If you don't like something, that's fine, but don't deliberately derail a topic about a band you don't like just to say they suck without being ready to give a valid reason why.

I haven't seen this happening yet, but just by the very nature of metal and its fanbase, plus the fact that we're all virtually anonymous on this forum, I know it will soon. I'd appreciate everyone's help in keeping retarded band arguments to a minimum. Arguing over who is better is fine, but at least make it something worth reading. Stuff along the lines of "They suck because they're fucking gay!" is not an argument worth reading.

One exception - if anyone ever joins up announcing they like crap like Linkin Park or Staind, flame the fuck out of them. Twice.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri July 9th, 2004, 2:32 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 8 2004, 08:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 8 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It's inevitable that all of us gonna disagree at some point about what's death metal vs. black metal, what's grindcore vs. what isn't, or even what's metal vs. what isn't. That's perfectly fine and should make for some interesting discussions, and I expect sometime in the near future that quite a few topics will eventually evolve into arguments over "what is" vs. "what isn't".

However, I would like to ask everyone to keep your arguments on track and music related, and don't let topics degenerate into pointless flame wars trying to show off whose e-penis is bigger (or e-breasts to include the random girl or two who may have mistakenly come here I suppose... I think that's all you girls compare sizes of and get jealous about). I know we're all internet tough guys and we'd all kick each other's asses and have relations of a sexual nature with each other's moms etc. if we were to step out from behind the computer, but please keep all that to a minimum. I don't want a forum full of dumbasses spouting off "this band sucks LOL" in every single band-related thread and making pointless personal attacks on people who do happen to like a certain band or style. If you don't like something, that's fine, but don't deliberately derail a topic about a band you don't like just to say they suck without being ready to give a valid reason why.

I haven't seen this happening yet, but just by the very nature of metal and its fanbase, plus the fact that we're all virtually anonymous on this forum, I know it will soon. I'd appreciate everyone's help in keeping retarded band arguments to a minimum. Arguing over who is better is fine, but at least make it something worth reading. Stuff along the lines of "They suck because they're fucking gay!" is not an argument worth reading.

One exception - if anyone ever joins up announcing they like crap like Linkin Park or Staind, flame the fuck out of them. Twice. [/quote]
Yeah I ventured into that kind of shit last night with Metalfreak and his post about how Blind Guardian was considered a "gay poser" power metal band. I understand your post, and I will try to keep my hatred for people based on a centralized hatred of true shit bands like the ones you listed. But it will be hard to not speak my mind on Dani of Cradle of Filth. :angry:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri July 9th, 2004, 11:35 am

Yeah, like I said nothing stupid has happened yet but the potential for it will always be there.

You can all argue about who or what is better all you want, just don't resort to calling someone who disagrees with you a stupid faggot (even though they may be), or making arguments along those lines. Come up with an actual reason why the band you are talking about sucks/rocks, other than the fact that you just think they suck or their name sucks.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri July 9th, 2004, 12:58 pm

Greg rocks because he doesn't center his picture

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri July 9th, 2004, 1:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Dump Pumpkin+Jul 9 2004, 01:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dump Pumpkin @ Jul 9 2004, 01:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Greg rocks because he doesn't center his picture [/quote]
Now there is a fine example of a valid argument. :lol:

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri July 9th, 2004, 8:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Jul 9 2004, 02:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen &#064; Jul 9 2004, 02:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 8 2004, 08:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg &#064; Jul 8 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It's inevitable that all of us gonna disagree at some point about what's death metal vs. black metal, what's grindcore vs. what isn't, or even what's metal vs. what isn't. That's perfectly fine and should make for some interesting discussions, and I expect sometime in the near future that quite a few topics will eventually evolve into arguments over "what is" vs. "what isn't".

One exception - if anyone ever joins up announcing they like crap like Linkin Park or Staind, flame the fuck out of them. Twice. [/quote]
Yeah I ventured into that kind of shit last night with Metalfreak and his post about how Blind Guardian was considered a "gay poser" power metal band. I understand your post, and I will try to keep my hatred for people based on a centralized hatred of true shit bands like the ones you listed. But it will be hard to not speak my mind on Dani of Cradle of Filth. :angry:[/quote]
hey, hey, hey! I didn't say Blind Guardian was gay. Someone else did. It was in my topic, though but I didn't say it! oh yeah, I'm a girl BTW. ...and I love metal! Some of you know me too. You know who you are! just defending my case...Rock On!

edit: haha I was typing fast
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Sun July 11th, 2004, 8:05 pm

Bling Guardian?
Well, I guess you have to have someone watch your ice, so cold I got chill bumps of mah neck...

What's with the hostility towards recognizable bands, mainstay bands like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Lamb of God?...granted, the COF camp has watered down their shit on recent albums, as everyone inevitably does...I heard word that Cephalic Carnage weren't the same pioneers on their last release. But it wasn't that long ago that Cradle of Filth was THE idolized band, and I for one can't get enough of Lamb of God's last release, New American Gospel.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun July 11th, 2004, 8:24 pm

You're talking about metal elitism.

When a band is no longer "your band", your dirty little secret that no one else knows about, then you give up on them just because you see one 13 year old in the mall with their t-shirt on. It's the aspect of the metal scene that I hate the most, when people automatically retort with something like "that band sucks, ___________ is better" when you mention liking a remotely mainstream band, and it's kinda the reason I made this topic. I don't want to see it happening here, unless someone is actually making a valid case for band X being better than band Y.

Now me personally, I'm so underground I've never even heard of myself. :m3t4l:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue July 13th, 2004, 2:29 am

Yeah alot of people do that, and its saying that if someone else is into the band then their ego is crushed and that is just bullshit, good point, Greg. :m3t4l:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue July 13th, 2004, 3:59 am

"I used to like ______, but now everyone does, so I don't care anymore."

I see it all the time. I like a lot of bands who really deserve more attention, yet whose devout fans would hate to see them get really famous and popular ("Oh, no, now all the kids know our secret!") It's a two-edged sword.

"Bling Guardian." That's gotta be the best typo I've seen in a month. :lol:
"Yo, Gee, stay here and guard my ultra-kewl spinning hubcaps!"

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed July 14th, 2004, 1:04 pm

this wasn't a problem at all really with the old atlanta metal forums, i mean we had a few lil' arguements about stupid things but for the most i think on local boards like this these things well be minimal. b/c we will all cross paths at one point at shows or whatnot and the fact that most internet badasses are just that and have no real interest in real life confrontations i think we can keep the peace. and lets face it anyway, if you truly feel like a metal elitist you have no business even arguing over who sucks and who doesn't b/c everyone will know that you are too "true" to ever consider a "gay" band to be cool

i for one say bring it on, all music thats rooted in real emotions, with passion and conviction and gets it point across is great to me.........no matter how fast, slow, heavy....blah blah

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu July 15th, 2004, 2:30 pm

I bet Bling Guardian drinks the Pimpjuice. Paul, were you referring to the ultra-awesome spinning hubcaps they have at Wal Mart for &#036;40? Those rule, I might get some.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri July 16th, 2004, 10:58 pm

<span style='color:blue'> nothing wrong with blind guardian </span>

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sun July 18th, 2004, 8:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-the_shadow_lord+Jul 16 2004, 10:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_shadow_lord @ Jul 16 2004, 10:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <span style='color:blue'> nothing wrong with blind guardian </span> [/quote]
That's very right, but there is something wrong with Rhapsody. Musically Luca Turilli is a genius musician, but whoever is writing the lyrics, Man Jesus! Its like the Velveeta of musical cheese. :p1st0ls: :lol:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon August 9th, 2004, 3:51 am

You haven't seen true Rhapsody cheese until you've seen their new CD cover-art (maybe it's the CD-single). Christopher Lee's head, looking like he'd rather be chewing glass, attached to this.....weird body that doesn't seem to have shoulders. It's cheesy and kinda disturbing, and hella funny. I almost bought it when I saw it at the Atl. Record Show, just for the laugh value.

"I am Saruman! I am Count Dooku! How the HELL did I get trapped in this Rhapsody contract?!"

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM