Metal scenes

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon August 23rd, 2004, 7:26 pm

It sure would help things out a lot if we could get wrekage on every night from 10-6 instead of just on fridays...

That would help out the information side of things immensely. Just announcing thigns once a week helps a little, but not as much has it would if we could announce shows/events once a day all day.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon August 23rd, 2004, 8:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Aug 23 2004, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Aug 23 2004, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It sure would help things out a lot if we could get wrekage on every night from 10-6 instead of just on fridays... [/quote]
Yeah...and that'll happen at WREK when hell freezes over. Of course, when I left the studio today, it was 63 degrees in there, so we're well on our way... :m3t4l: :wh4cky:

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Tue August 24th, 2004, 1:48 am

i think its a very fine tuned orchestration of many things, pretty much all of them have been mentioned...helpful venues, all the bands in the scene working together, people in the community actually giving a shit, more than just one radio station that plays and helps promote(not competing, helping), and everyone knowing whats going on so locals dont book shows the same nights as a big tour coming to town, or if that does happen that some of the people in the area will actually go to the local show and show some support...but in all reality, its really hard to get something like that, or to keep it going for that matter...if you notice, any scene that rises to success falls very quickly
play your gloom axe

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue August 24th, 2004, 4:42 am

A lot of good points, here.

Although Atlanta might not be majority rap and hip-hop, it's pretty much all you'll read about in the Atlanta paper, because their music reviewers don't have a clue about metal. (Really, they don't have much of a clue about rock, let alone metal.)
I'm not too impressed with the music reviewers at Creative Loafing, either.

As for getting crowds out to shows, that makes a big difference to labels -- when "local" bands start drawing in the 3-500 range, or more, labels sit up and take notice. Case in point: Sevendust, then called Crawlspace. Word got out that they were drawing well, and Toe at the Wreck Room got a call asking how many they drew. "They're not really my style of music, but they consistently draw 300+ and fill my club." They were signed shortly thereafter.

When it comes to GETTING people out to shows.... Band stickers, flyers, promoting..... I remember the days when metal bands would hang out at Gwinnett Place Mall and pass out flyers, etc. (Now it would get you kickec out...at best.) Cooperative venues would help, too: wouldn't it be cool to pass out flyers that gave a discount for showing the flyer at the door? (People loooove the thought of saving a buck or two with a coupon.) Wouldn't it be cool if venues would play area bands over the PA between sets? These are ideas a venue would have to go along with, though.

Just some random thoughts.... A friend of mine is now reviewing music for Chattanooga's daily paper (he's reviewing the new Killswitch Engage this week), and I'm curious to see if it will have any effect up there.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Tue August 24th, 2004, 1:19 pm

you know what would be awesome? if we set up a show @ the pepsi pavilion at the mall of georgia...im sure it could be done
play your gloom axe

Oldmangloom25

Post by Oldmangloom25 » Tue August 24th, 2004, 4:51 pm

We should just set up without permission. Videotape it with Digital Camcorders a la Jackass or CKY. Those mall punk kids would go crazy. Did you hear about that band that just set up and started playing and got arrested? Perhaps someone would even call out the media. We would ofcourse all be wearing WREKage shirts or sticker up the drums or guitars.

Just a thought.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Tue August 24th, 2004, 5:30 pm

Admitted, it's definitely a plausible tactic, publicity through civil disobedience. I'd like to give peaceful protest a shot though. Although, if things don't work, I'm open to other options. :m3t4l: :ch33rs: :3v1l:

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Wed August 25th, 2004, 1:50 am

how about we write some christian rock and record it, and say that we want to hold a battle of the bands there, and give them the cd and tell them that that band will be performing, then when we get there, tell them that that band had to cancel and set up shop with all the local bands that we can and go at it...if they try to stop us, they cant, we are under contract
play your gloom axe