WREKage host tree

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

bid

Post by bid » Mon October 11th, 2004, 3:40 pm

My knowledge about the previous hosts of WREKage is very minimal but I thought it would be awesome if we could build up a WREKage host tree. That way you can say which WREK DJ was part of Wrekage and when. Unfortunately the tree will leave out the community staff but that's only becuz the WREK DJ's changed a lot more than the community stuff. may be we can get all (at least most of) the WREK DJ's to add what they thought of WREKage at thier time and list the community staff taht requires kudos. Here is what I know from my time onwards, from past to the present:
  • Timothy Bennett (1988-1990)</li>
  • Delgado (1991-xxxx)</li>
  • Bob Vincent (1991-1995)</li>
  • Shawn Londo (1995-xxxx)
    • soulvoid (any real name?) (1996-1997)</li>
    </li>
  • Brian Milliron (1997-1997)
    </li>
  • Kevin (1997-1997?)
    </li>
  • Jonathan (xxxx-2002) + Sam Cape (xxxx-xxxx)
    • Craig</li>
    • EJ</li>
    • Paul</li>
    • Deathgasm</li>
    • Tim?</li>
    </li>
  • bid (2002-2003) + Alex (2003-2004) + ho!!y (2003-now)
    • Craig</li>
    • EJ</li>
    • Deathgasm</li>
    • Paul</li>
    • Tim</li>
    • bob</li>
    </li>
  • Alex (2003-2004) + ho!!y (2003-now)
    • bob</li>
    • Paul</li>
    • Deathgasm</li>
    • Tim</li>
    </li>
  • ho!!y (2003-now) + Greg (2004-now) + Dan (2004-now)
    • EJ</li>
    • Paul</li>
    • Deathgasm</li>
    • Tim</li>
    </li>
That's all there is in my head. I'm sure bob can draw a better timeline for this things.
bidyut

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Mon October 11th, 2004, 11:24 pm

The first time I hosted was during Jonathan's time :m1c:

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Tue October 12th, 2004, 2:25 pm

Sam Cape did it with Jonathan. Shawn Londo did the show in 1996. There's an ex-host who posts here, but I don't remember his name.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Tue October 12th, 2004, 2:55 pm

I would be the ex host your refering to. However I was community staff , whic he said he didn't want.

bid

Post by bid » Wed October 13th, 2004, 1:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-soulvoid+Oct 12 2004, 03:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulvoid @ Oct 12 2004, 03:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I would be the ex host your refering to. However I was community staff , whic he said he didn't want. [/quote]
Well I didn't want it in the main tree.. but I would like to knwo who you were doing it under. It shows how WREKage is/was more than just the student hosts.
bidyut

exterminator-x

Post by exterminator-x » Wed October 13th, 2004, 3:12 pm

Just stumbled upon the site, folks. Good stuff...

I'm Timothy Bennett, WREKage showhost from 1988 to 1991. I sometimes go by the moniker of Exterminator X, which was a spoof and sort of a homage to Public Enemy's front-man, Terminator X.

I took over the show from Diamond Mike Tucker and Carl Carlsson in 1988 when both were fired for now unremembered (and likely stupid) WREK policy violations. I'm not exactly sure when Tucker and Carlsson started, but I had gotten the impression that they had basically started the show a few years earlier (~1985??). Reading your posted history, though, makes me think it that wasn't necessarily the case.

I resigned from the show in 1991 after a series of suspensions was making hosting the show more and more of a hassle. The scene was crazy back then and we had so many kids listening. Everything I was doing was so scrutized, but the likely story is that I had become a big ole asshole.

A crazy time... but easily one of the most memorable of my life. Many stories and highlights I could tell...

-- timothy

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed October 13th, 2004, 3:24 pm

Hey man, welcome back!

This is really cool - you were hosting when I first heard WREKage in '88. Man, great times & great show! Are you still in Atlanta?

You mentioned hosting 88-91. Was it that long? I thought you had passed the torch to Delgado in 90. I thought I got involved in 90/91 but we've never met. In addition to 13 years, there were many other factors that could have greatly affected my memory so please ellaborate. btw: those suspensions continued long after your time :wh4cky:

John Kincaid sent an email describing the very beginnings of WREKage. I'll need to dig that out to reveal the very trunk of this tree.

Bob

exterminator-x

Post by exterminator-x » Wed October 13th, 2004, 3:40 pm

Are you still in Atlanta?
Moved to Nashville in 1996.
You mentioned hosting 88-91.&nbsp; Was it that long?&nbsp; I thought you had passed the torch to Delgado in 90.&nbsp; I got involved in 91.&nbsp; In addition to 13 years, there were many other factors that could have greatly affected my memory so please ellaborate.
I couldn't remember either, so I searched the WREK alum database and it said I hosted the show from 88 to 91. But, I do believe it was 1990 when I quit. I remember 1990 being a very tumultuous time in my life. Upon reflection, I confident 1990 was when I left...

Delgado did what I resisted for several years... move the show from Thursday night to Friday night. I was on for 1.5 hours from 10:30-midnight, but frequently got requests to move to Friday night where I could grab a bigger slice of air time. I just didn't want to give up my Friday nights! :)

I will, however, take credit for the first all-night metal broadcasts. Occasionally, and you may remember, I would do these Metal Marathon's in which WREKage would go from 10:30pm Thursday night to 6am on Friday morning. At the time, weekday mornings beginning at 6am at WREK was classical music. So, I'd switch over from speed metal to classical. What a transition! I usually tried to at least start the classical slot with some like Mozart's Requeim, thinking that at least a funeral dirge might bridge the gap...
btw: those suspensions continued long after your time :wh4cky:
I guess it comes with the territory... :D

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed October 13th, 2004, 4:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-exterminator&#045;x+Oct 13 2004, 04:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exterminator&#045;x &#064; Oct 13 2004, 04:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Delgado did what I resisted for several years... move the show from Thursday night to Friday night.&nbsp; I was on for 1.5 hours from 10:30-midnight, but frequently got requests to move to Friday night where I could grab a bigger slice of air time.&nbsp; I just didn't want to give up my Friday nights! :)
[/quote]
Actually it wasn't Delgado's choice to move the show. As you know, back then WREKage and the rap show were the big party shows and both on Thursday nights. Basically, like two little kids always in trouble, they were seperated and the GM chose to move WREKage to Friday. While losing Fridays did/does suck, I think it's better for picking up late listeners.

I didn't know about the Marathons. Maybe I was pissed because my Full Metal Packet was never chosen :angry:

Anyway, welcome back! :ch33rs:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed October 13th, 2004, 5:31 pm

Oh wow... I want to gather round the campfire and hear stories of old Wrekage broadcasts too.

We tried to track you and some of the other Wrekage hosts down for alumni week a couple of months ago so you could come back and host Wrekage again, but we had no idea where to look. Welcome to the site, hope you like the show still all these years later.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Thu October 14th, 2004, 1:15 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bid+Oct 13 2004, 06:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bid @ Oct 13 2004, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-soulvoid+Oct 12 2004, 03:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulvoid &#064; Oct 12 2004, 03:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I would be the ex host your refering to. However I was community staff , whic he said he didn't want. [/quote]
Well I didn't want it in the main tree.. but I would like to knwo who you were doing it under. It shows how WREKage is/was more than just the student hosts. [/quote]
Well I was 17 when I started hosting under Shawn Londo. However when it came time for Shawn to graduate he tried finding a student to do it. After over 2 months of no success , he left GT and WREK and I was now 18 and was left by myself to host the show. I hosted by myself with no Student or Staff being over me for like 8 or 9 monthes before Brian Milliron (Jesus The Messiah) came back to the show. I hosted with Jesus for a couple of months before he was fired again. This time for doing an anti Freaknik show. When the hatemail/Phone Calls poured in he refused to say he was sorry on the air. So he was let go. I continued maybe another 2 months , and then Faisal the station manager appointed some tech student named Kevin , who didn't really wanna do the show and killed everyone on Friday's with the entire Victory Records catalouge. I could be wrong but I think Kevin left before I did as well. However I could be mistaken. I left in late '97 I think.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken about any dates.

Also Tim and Paul did do a little bit of hosting during my time as well. However nowhere near as much as they do now.

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Fri October 15th, 2004, 12:35 pm

:D I'm hosting again, Bid :m1c: :drum:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue October 19th, 2004, 7:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Oct 13 2004, 06:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg &#064; Oct 13 2004, 06:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh wow... I want to gather round the campfire and hear stories of old Wrekage broadcasts too.
[/quote]

Yea, me too! Let me get some marshmallows, graham-crackers, Hershey bars...oh, and some N*Sync CDs to melt. :m0nk3yp33:

I've only been listening to the show since c. 1994. Tim H. and I hung around the old studio periodically during the old Wreck Room days, and I started hosting regularly -- due to online feedback about the show's format -- in 1998. Been doing it pretty much every week since then, with occasional weeks off.

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Tue October 19th, 2004, 10:35 am

hahahahah! I remember the Anti-freaknik show..that was fucking hillarious.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Tue October 19th, 2004, 12:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-soulvoid+Oct 14 2004, 01:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulvoid @ Oct 14 2004, 01:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ...killed everyone on Friday's with the entire Victory Records catalouge... [/quote]
Ha, sounds like a man after my own heart.