discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

new album review 2/2

Post by Greg » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 10:26 am

Samael - Reign of Light

http://www.wrekage.org/reviews.php#60

It was fun writing a review for an album that really sucked for a change.

P.S. - any current or future wrekage hosts reading this - if you are ever caught playing something off this album on the air I will kill you. No, really.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 12:08 pm

Cool - I'm glad you're not just reviewing stuff you lke and everything gets a 10/10.

Fn Dan

Re: new album review 2/2

Post by Fn Dan » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 12:21 pm

Greg wrote:P.S. - any current or future wrekage hosts reading this - if you are ever caught playing something off this album on the air I will kill you. No, really.
I had already heard this album when Paul bought it a couple of months ago, and was pretty much shocked to see Samael turn into a really bad industrial band. I listened to it again yesterday, and it still sucked, pretty much just as much as I remembered.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 12:45 pm

while the album may suck, the review rules! Thanks Greg for another good review.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 3:24 pm

bobnoxious wrote:Cool - I'm glad you're not just reviewing stuff you lke and everything gets a 10/10.
Yeah, generally I don't want to put the effort into writing a review for an album that sucks, but I swear to god as soon as I heard those hand claps on that last song I fired up a review window on the wrekage site and 15 minutes later I was done. The hate just kept on flowing for some reason.

In all honesty though, I feel that most of the albums I've reviewed lately are as good as this one is bad.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 11:35 pm

Greg is the master of reviews. You are serious about them yet keep them funny.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sun February 6th, 2005, 6:15 am

Greg puts the human element to his reviews, kudos! :D

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon February 7th, 2005, 4:45 pm

I didn't like the new album either. I didn't care for Exodus, but Passage was excellent. Most people I know hated how they went from a black/death metal band to what they became on Passage and Exodus. And I saw an interesting parallel with that in your review that said they went from a black/industrial band to what they are now. How thing change with time :)

Oh, and Samael are Swiss, not Swedish.

VibrationsOfDoom

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Tue February 8th, 2005, 6:38 am

Hate to say it about Samael, but you made a mistake. The band is NOT from Sweden, they are and always have been from Switzerland... Just thought I'd clarify that... Funny as hell review though! Especially after they told me when they came to Atlanta the last time they were going for a "heavier, back to the roots" kinda sound... Fucking liars!!

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue February 8th, 2005, 4:03 pm

fuck you're both right, I don't remember where I got Sweden from. I think I just speed-read "Switzerland" as "Sweden" on their bio page. Oh well, didn't mean to embarass the fine folks from Sweden by associating them in any way with this album. I changed it to the correct country, thanks for pointing that out.

My favorite album of theirs is "Ceremony of Opposites", I think it was the proper mix of metal and all that electronica stuff they do now, probably about 75/25. Passage was also good, probably about a 60/40 mix, but now it's all 100% fucking dance pop.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed February 9th, 2005, 6:00 am

Greg wrote:fuck you're both right, I don't remember where I got Sweden from. I think I just speed-read "Switzerland" as "Sweden" on their bio page. Oh well, didn't mean to embarass the fine folks from Sweden by associating them in any way with this album. I changed it to the correct country, thanks for pointing that out.

My favorite album of theirs is "Ceremony of Opposites", I think it was the proper mix of metal and all that electronica stuff they do now, probably about 75/25. Passage was also good, probably about a 60/40 mix, but now it's all 100% fucking dance pop.
When I listen to the new CD, it reminds me -- not pleasantly, either -- of Rammstein. How the mighty have fallen. Swiss cheese.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed February 9th, 2005, 12:15 pm

WREKage-Paul wrote: When I listen to the new CD, it reminds me -- not pleasantly, either -- of Rammstein. How the mighty have fallen. Swiss cheese.
That's the exact same thing I thought of when I first heard it - it sounds like a really, really bad Rammstein cover band did the album. Even Vorph's vocals sound just like the guy from Rammstein.

And have you seen Vorph lately? He looks like fucking Bjork now! Seems to me that they had some sort of Metallica-style downward trend in their music over the past few years, only difference is Metallica cut all their hair off while Samael cut all their names short (Vorphalack to Vorph, Xytras to Xy, and so on).