High on Fire & Kylesa Feb 12 @ The Earl

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

High on Fire & Kylesa Feb 12 @ The Earl

Post by ratanda » Fri February 11th, 2005, 5:39 pm

I've never been a big fan of High on Fire, but I like what I've heard of the new album. And I've always wanted to see Kylesa. Anyone else going to this?

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Fri February 11th, 2005, 5:51 pm

Yeah, I should be there.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri February 11th, 2005, 9:09 pm

i'll be there! i've only heard good things about high on fire's live show. and kylesa is great live....thunderous!

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri February 11th, 2005, 9:11 pm

ah, wait! nevermind......i forgot that i'm married and its valentines day weekend. i must do something romantic with my lady. nothing more romantic for me then a good show, but she would think differently i'm sure.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Mon February 14th, 2005, 3:48 pm

so......

did anyone go to this? if so, how was it?

necroodin

HIgh On Fire show..

Post by necroodin » Mon February 14th, 2005, 6:23 pm

I checked them out. I watched for about an hour and was forced out due to extreme heat and low oxygen levels in the room. Excellent set, a variety of old and new songs. To me they sound better live then they do on cd.. more powerful bass tone of DOOM. Plus just the groove of the live experience. Too many overly intoxicated shirtless sweaty guys pushing and shoving and trying to mosh around though. To me High on Fire would be best enjoyed nodding the head and sparking a doob. The EARL seems to be a good place to see such a gig, but too many damn people in there! The jack and cokes were made to be straight cups of jack a few times which always assists. Interesting mix of people, some scene mixing going on what with the first two bands prescence. I really didnt get into the first band Kylsea , seemed very repetitvie with some bad female vocals. The second band I was mostly in the main bar area grooving with a friend, but what I caught seemed not bad, except for some strange "Take Care of eachother!" statement a few times. High on Fire laid to waste these openers with many fell swoops.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed February 16th, 2005, 2:48 pm

Kylesa was fucking awesome. It was my first time seeing or hearing them and I really really dug them. I didn't care for Planes Mistaken For Stars at all. We talked with people outside during the majority of their set. High on Fire was ok. A lot of people were into them, but me personally I don't see what the big deal is.

And yes it was hot as hell in there. I'm pretty sure I sweated away my buzz, but a packed sweltering show isn't uncommon. And yeah there was certainly a good mix of people there.

VibrationsOfDoom

Kylesa

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Fri March 11th, 2005, 10:40 pm

I've heard so much about Kylesa, I have been wanting to check them out, mainly because they are from my hometown of Savannah and I don't remember too many bands really making it down there. Vault Point Nine was a GREAT Savannah industrial band that got their version of "Devil Went Down To Georgia" and a few other songs on a Re-Constriction Records sampler, as well as a few other labels, but they left, moved out to California and I never heard from them again. Then there was Damad, but otherwise Savannah hasn';t got much of a scene... Pissed that I missed High On Fire but I know they'll be back...