Thrashmania's Thrash Tally

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Thrashmania

Thrashmania's Thrash Tally

Post by Thrashmania » Wed August 20th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I was randomly thinking of how awesome MDF is today, posted a quick statement on FB about it. Then I got to thinking about all the 80s Thrash (or close enough to it) that I've been lucky to see. I'm curious to know about our more 'veteran' members and who they got to see when this stuff was hot off the press.

I started putting together a list of bands while at work, because who wants to actually work at work? I'm sure I forgot some, we've all been to about 17 billion shows.

Sodom
Kreator
Destruction
Tankard
Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Sacrifice
Voivod
Nuclear Assault
Exhorder
Annihilator
Pentagram (Chile)
Exciter
D.R.I
Coroner
Artillery
Sacred Reich
Morbid Saint
Cancer
Dark Angel
Exodus
Whiplash
Flotsam & Jetsam
Forbidden
Overkill
Protector
Sanctuary
Suicidal Tendencies
Testament
Possessed
Holy Moses
Sepultura

And bands I get to see in the coming year:

Xentrix
Heathen
Metal Church
Razor
Vulcano
Bulldozer
Last edited by Thrashmania on Thu August 28th, 2014, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu August 21st, 2014, 9:39 pm

Before 1990?

Slayer
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Testament
Helloween
Exodus
Sacred Reich
Forbidden
Death Angel
Sacrifice
Nuclear Assault
Savatage
Voivod
Wrathchild America

I fucking missed Celtic Frost on my birthday in '86. That is probably the show that I regret missing the most. Of course, I had no idea at the time, so there is that.

In any event, Sam will win this game, hands down.
Last edited by Knucklehead on Thu August 21st, 2014, 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu August 21st, 2014, 9:40 pm

Double post.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Thu August 21st, 2014, 9:57 pm

I would have loved to seen them 'then' and 'now'. Any glaring notes about the bands you caught in different decades? (Lets say pre '90 post 2k)

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu August 21st, 2014, 10:15 pm

The first time I saw Metallica was in '86, just before they broke big. They were opening for Ozzy and it was definitely a high-water mark. They were hungry and thrashed hard. Cliff wore a Dawn of the Dead shirt. I saw them three more times, on the Justice tour, and haven't seen them since.

Exodus were a complete revelation in '89. Gary Holt was very physical in his style of play, sorta like Ritchie Blackmore in his early days, just less cheesy. It was just very violent. Now, he just seems to be more of a drunk old man that has made one too many stops in rehab.

Death Angel were a bunch of kids who were having a blast. Or maybe there were geeked out on speed, I'm not sure. Some of that youthful energy is obviously lost.

Testament seems to have been pretty stable.

I saw Slayer in a club, back then. Which means that you could actually seem them, not just their pictures on the big screens at Lakewood. It was a completely different energy, because it was more intimate, and very intimidating. I'm hoping that they'll come through one last time at the Tabernacle, but I tend to doubt it.

The rest of it is all kind of hazy, or I haven't seen the band post-2000. (Like Nuclear Assault. I was always kind of disappointed that they didn't do more.) I don't really remember seeing Sacred Reich at all. Wrathchild America was playing that show and I was all pumped to see them. I vaguely remember seeing them, but my buddies swear that Sacred Reich was headlining. There are some wispy memories of watching them play "Surf Nicaragua", but it is hazy.

easnoddy

Post by easnoddy » Fri August 22nd, 2014, 4:04 pm

Knucklehead wrote: I saw Slayer in a club, back then. Which means that you could actually seem them, not just their pictures on the big screens at Lakewood. It was a completely different energy, because it was more intimate, and very intimidating. I'm hoping that they'll come through one last time at the Tabernacle, but I tend to doubt it.
You mean like they are in November? I'm probably skipping that show. I saw them on the Clash of the Titans re-tour in 2010 with Jeff. That was enough, I've seen them 4-5 times, Slayer is pretty done for me.

Hmm, the first metal show I went to at 15 was Danzig in 1990, so I have no pre-90 experience. I didn't see Metallica til the Black tour in stadiums. I'm still not sure I've ever seen Testament. If you count Sepultura, I only saw them once I think in the heyday. At Lakewood with Pantera on the Roots tour. Would really have liked to have seen them on the Arise tour. Speaking of Pantera, they were AMAZING on the Cowboys From Hell tour (with some band called Lucy Brown or something). White Zombie was pretty fun on the La Sexorcisto tour (like 3 times or so). First time I saw Kreator was on the Renewal tour. Primus was pretty great on the 'Sailing tour. MOD/Pro-Pain in about 1993 was just okay. I know I saw Overkill somewhere in the early 90's, did nothing for me. Demolition Hammer was REALLY good touring with Deicide in 1992 I think. Suicidal Tendencies opening for Queensryche in 91 was good, but really short. Anthrax was pretty great on the Killer B's tour. Megadeth on Clash of the Titans (both). Thats about it for thrash.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Fri August 22nd, 2014, 4:48 pm

I would have killed to see Demo Hammer then.

...I will kill to see Demo Hammer *NOW*...

Get on that MDF.

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Fri August 22nd, 2014, 6:44 pm

Thrash bands I saw back in the day? Glad you asked:
Metallica in 1986 and 1989
Slayer in 1988, 1991
COC in 1987 and 1989
Megadeth, overkill and necros 1987
Death angel and bloodfeast 1987
ST 1987
Anthrax and testament 1987
Kreator, DRI and holy terror 1987
And tons more, including coroner, mordred, violence, voivod, and demolition hammer twice in 1991. They opened for malevolent creation and devastation and no one was into them.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Sun August 24th, 2014, 10:48 am

I was born too late.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Thu August 28th, 2014, 4:54 pm

And fucking Bulldozer, how could I forget they're playing MDF too?!