Unspeakable Axe Records

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Unspeakable Axe

Unspeakable Axe Records

Post by Unspeakable Axe » Fri April 4th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Hi guys - just wanted to introduce myself briefly. I'm Eric, I run a new-ish label called Unspeakable Axe Records. We're a sub-label of Dark Descent Records (Colorado death metal label, pretty well known I would say) focused more on thrash and related sounds - crossover, death/thrash, early and primitive death metal, even a little crust. I'm trying to carve out a niche but not an overly small one.

Anyway, I was originally based out of Indianapolis, but when my wife took a job at UGA we ended up in Athens just a few months after the label was founded. So I'm right down the road from you now. I hope to make it to Atlanta at least a few times a year to see the sights, eat some good food, and maybe take in a show. It seems like metal is a lot stronger in Atlanta than here in the hometown of R.E.M. (not that that's too shocking really).

Oh, and also - you can find our releases at Criminal Records. That's definitely a place I'm going to be hitting up anytime I'm in Atlanta. Nice to see a quality brick-and-mortar shop still going.
Last edited by Unspeakable Axe on Wed July 15th, 2015, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri April 4th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Welcome dude! That Besieged reissue has been ruling my dome pretty effectively since it dropped. Also stoked for that Angelcrust record! Grim Winds put out one of our cassettes a few years ago, great dudes!

You def need to make it over this way for a show sometime!

edit* Just checked that preview track from Sabbatory, count me excited for that one too! Keep up the good work dude!
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Unspeakable Axe

Post by Unspeakable Axe » Fri April 4th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Thanks man! I'm not too sure what the situation is with Angelcrust - that EP was supposed to be ready to go like last summer, and here we are and it seems no closer. But Francis from Grim Winds is good people, and I like the music, so I can wait! Originally that was going to be UAR003... now we're up to UAR007 and counting, ha ha. We'll see what happens this year.

Sabbatory is definitely good. I just got the CDs in stock for that one. Something about those Winnipeg bands - there's a lot of really solid ones.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri April 4th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Welcome aboard, chief. Hopefully, you'll be able to make it out to some shows.

I understand your label focusses primarily on "noise/post-fluxus/krautbop w/hammered dulcimer, recorder, tanbur, violin, electric and acoustic guitars". You should look into suing DDR for moving in on your turf. (Or settle it the old-fashioned Black Metal way: with a knife fight.)

Unspeakable Axe

Post by Unspeakable Axe » Fri April 4th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Knucklehead wrote:Welcome aboard, chief. Hopefully, you'll be able to make it out to some shows.

I understand your label focusses primarily on "noise/post-fluxus/krautbop w/hammered dulcimer, recorder, tanbur, violin, electric and acoustic guitars". You should look into suing DDR for moving in on your turf. (Or settle it the old-fashioned Black Metal way: with a knife fight.)
Metal on the internet really is a small world, isn't it? :lol:

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sat April 5th, 2014, 8:52 am

Unspeakable Axe wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:Welcome aboard, chief. Hopefully, you'll be able to make it out to some shows.

Metal on the internet really is a small world, isn't it? :lol:
Ha! Yes, it is.

Unspeakable Axe

Post by Unspeakable Axe » Wed July 15th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Hey! Haven't been on this board lately, but I thought I would post briefly about what's happening with the label, particularly with regard to Atlanta acts, 'cause we seem to be accumulating a few:

#1 - Sadistic Ritual's "Edge of the Knife" CD is shipping now, and it came out beautifully. Both the bloody cover art and the death/thrash sounds. You can get a copy from the band or from my site: http://www.unspeakableaxerecords.com/pu ... cts_id=295 Creative Loafing likes it: http://clatl.com/atlanta/still-thrashin ... d=14735646

#2 - In other Atlanta metal news, we will release a CD pressing of Manic Scum's new EP late this year. Great death metal for fans of old Suffocation, old Cannibal Corpse, and things that are old and deathly.

#3 - Cemetery Filth isn't really an Atlanta band, but one of their members lives there, so there ya go. Anyway they've contributed three tracks to a split full length of death metal, "4 Doors To Death," which will be released later this year. The other bands on it are TrenchRot, Ectovoid, and Sabbatory. Gonna be great.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed July 15th, 2015, 4:11 pm

I cannot wait for that split.