Best Darkthrone album

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Brian
WREKage Staff

Best Darkthrone album

Post by Brian » Fri April 10th, 2015, 8:39 am

The past week or two, I've been on a huge Darkthrone kick. I enjoy all eras but obviously like the Unholy trinity the most.

I used to think A Blaze in the Northern Sky was their peak, and in some ways, still do. But more and more I find myself thinking Under a Funeral Moon is the superior record. Transilvanian Hunger is definitely my least favorite of the 3.

Thoughts? Favorite album? Favorite era? Should they hang it up or keep on churning out records every other year? Nocturno Culto vs Fenriz, who wins?

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri April 10th, 2015, 8:52 am

Well, I guess I'll interrupt Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult.

My first thought is the Unholy Trinity or Panzerfaust. I love that record just as much, probably because I think it was the first of theirs that I actually heard. I'm not superfamiliar with their mid-era stuff, but I'm enjoying their later records. Especially The Underground Resistance. IMO, "Valkyrie" is mandatory fall listening.

I've got some records to spin.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Fri April 10th, 2015, 9:20 am

Weird, was just discussing this with a coworker not ten minutes ago. Soulside Journey is by far my favorite. Big case of one of these things is not like the others...different band altogether really, but I listen to and enjoy that one more than any other by far. A Blaze is not far behind though. Archetypal to the Darkthrone moniker and my other go-to. I'll play anything pre-Cult Is Alive before listening to the output of recent years. Sardonic Wrath was the last that I instantly loved. Not a bad record in the lot though. Taken me longer to warm up to the last few.

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Post by BlackRoija » Fri April 10th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Panzerfaust, motherfucker.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Sat April 11th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Soulside. But that'd be an obvious answer for those who know me. I generally err in favor of death over black.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue May 19th, 2015, 6:41 am

How does one judge best? What are the criteria? It needs to be discussed! I'm almost temtoed to say Sardonic Wrath, because they were transitioning to the new style (which I love) but it was still grim as fuck. Hate is the Law is so great.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue September 22nd, 2015, 7:39 pm

They should definitely keep churning out records.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Wed September 23rd, 2015, 5:17 pm

Knucklehead wrote:They should definitely keep churning out records.
They just posted a pic yesterday saying the record was half done.

ksarikhani

Post by ksarikhani » Fri September 25th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Tough choice...I've always considered A Blaze in the Northern Sky or Panzerfaust to be their best records. I'm definitely not one of the ones that thought Transilvanian Hunger was some kind of masterpiece.

Many years ago, (I think) Eric from Malformity had a copy of Soulside Journey on tape that I heard. I don't think I really appreciated it then, as there were far better death metal records at the time. These days I actually like it a lot more and it's fair to include it among their best.