Is there a comprehensive listing of all bands?

discussions about Atlanta metal bands

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

kfoll

Post by kfoll » Mon September 4th, 2006, 2:44 am

NeuroNomicon wrote:Metal "Core", is not a real sub-genre of metal. It's for kids that listen to hardcore, but want to be "different". Kids being the operative word. Mostly hipster and scenester sissies.

You know a metal "core" band if they spend more time trying to look and sound tough, than to just fucking rock. They're likely to be covered in tattoos, and have some sort of Tony and Guy haircut, and the chicks look like dudes, and the dudes look like chicks. They use dissonant voicings in their guitars, have "breakdowns", which real musicians refer to as a "bridge", and generally try their best to look as tough as possible, despite weighing in a whopping 97 lbs wet.

Band names are likely to be along the lines of:

As I Lay Crying
A Thousand Open Wounds on my Shattered Soul
Barbwire Heart for your Valentine
Agayu
Between the Newfound Buried Your Blood
Everytime I Cry
Dies Witin Your Cuts
Rollicking Mellifluous Gallop of Pestilence in my Dreams
From Autumn With I am the Walrus

Essentially any band that says it is "metal" but for all intents and purposes sounds absolutely nothing like metal. Especially notable are when they go from gutteral death growls, to sounding like your kid sister after someone kicked her in the boob.
LOL... "As I Lay Crying" hehe ... well I kind of halfway understand that I guess, but I'm still not sure what the difference is in this "metalcore" vs. "hardcore" vs. "Grindcore" etc. etc. but then maybe it's not really worth my time to pursue it much. Not that I'm trying to be exclusive but I do want this list to be what is generally considered real metal.

Diarrheaspray, I took a look at that site and it looks like a lot of good reading... thanks. It's kind of funny that they have so many reviews of old albums... Black Sabbath, Covenant, heh... it's like the kid who just discovered Led Zeppelin writing a review of Houses of the Holy hehe.
----------------------------------

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon September 4th, 2006, 8:34 pm

NeuroNomicon wrote:
Essentially any band that says it is "metal" but for all intents and purposes sounds absolutely nothing like metal. Especially notable are when they go from gutteral death growls, to sounding like your kid sister after someone kicked her in the boob.
I fucking hate that style! it's guttural death or nothing for me. someone told me that he respects vocalists who can go from one extreme to the other and all I can think is "This is the gay part!" (you know...from Brian Posehn's song Metal by NUmbers)
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Mon September 4th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Death growls to the max. To me, good range = going from roar to rasp. Dudes shouldn't "sing". Singing's for Opera, and chicks that have pretty voices.

As far as "core"... That shit will disappear when rap gets "cool" again.

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Mon September 4th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Side Note: That's the problem with DragonForce, aside from the fact that they've got "Dragon" in their name. Their music is fucking phenomenal, but those power metal vocals have got to go. I was into that shit when I was 12, cuz' all the growling scared me. That junk's got to split. No power metal vocals! Whoa on the "Whoa-ohs".

kfoll

Post by kfoll » Tue September 5th, 2006, 1:15 am

NeuroNomicon wrote:Death growls to the max. To me, good range = going from roar to rasp. Dudes shouldn't "sing". Singing's for Opera, and chicks that have pretty voices.

Ihsahn doesn't do too badly at both the singing and the screaming. Mikael Akerfeldt is another name that comes to mind... I could listen to him all day.

Generally, I agree with this tho. That's why I can't handle Iron Maiden anymore, or Dream Theater or even Judas Priest.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Tue September 5th, 2006, 2:47 am

I could listen to Maiden all day, and sometimes I do. Like right now.

I also hate how grind is now considered bands like The Red Chord, and other metal core bands like that. When I think of grindcore bands I think of Terrorizer, Napalm Death, Repulsion, Terror (swe), and awesome bands like them. Stupid metalcore kids dont know what they are talking about and call everything they do metal or grind, and theyre all fucking stupid.

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Tue September 5th, 2006, 6:29 am

Mike A can sing, and it can hang, but that's somehow appropriate. It's the A7suX, Agayu, type "emocore", "white-belt metal" that blows my fucking mind.

When it comes time for grind it's fuckin' Nasum, dude. Not the fucking Red Bored. Thank you for pointing them out, another one I had completely forgotten about. Between the Buried and me has to be the worst fucking band on the planet, metalcore genre not even pertinant. They fucking suck cock. It's like a bunch of jock motherfuckers sitting around all day playing along to a metronome and talking about venusian modes. Sometimes ya just gotta rock. There's a point in time where it stops being music, and starts becoming sports.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue September 5th, 2006, 11:23 am

i'm glad to see that everyone is so open minded to the myriad possibilities of metal. way to go guys. stagnation or death!!
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Tue September 5th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Don't be silly, Greg. Every one of our songs is essentially a different genre of metal. That being said, we're not into the clean vocals.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Wed September 6th, 2006, 4:44 pm

NeuroNomicon wrote:Don't be silly, Greg. Every one of our songs is essentially a different genre of metal. That being said, we're not into the clean vocals.
what you do with your own band is a completely different issue
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Wed September 6th, 2006, 5:49 pm

kfoll wrote:
NeuroNomicon wrote:Death growls to the max. To me, good range = going from roar to rasp. Dudes shouldn't "sing". Singing's for Opera, and chicks that have pretty voices.

Ihsahn doesn't do too badly at both the singing and the screaming. Mikael Akerfeldt is another name that comes to mind... I could listen to him all day.

Generally, I agree with this tho. That's why I can't handle Iron Maiden anymore, or Dream Theater or even Judas Priest.
Ihsan and Michael A are good singers for what they do imo. Those are people who actually can go from one extreme to the next (loosely speaking) without sounding gay.

as far as power metal goes, I can't stand most of it but I will never get sick of Maiden and Priest. They were the first and most of the bands after them are too fuckin cheesy/ gay for me. and I do agree about the Dragonforce comment someone made.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Wed September 6th, 2006, 5:51 pm

NeuroNomicon wrote:Mike A can sing, and it can hang, but that's somehow appropriate. It's the A7suX, Agayu, type "emocore", "white-belt metal" that blows my fucking mind.

When it comes time for grind it's fuckin' Nasum, dude. Not the fucking Red Bored. Thank you for pointing them out, another one I had completely forgotten about. Between the Buried and me has to be the worst fucking band on the planet, metalcore genre not even pertinant. They fucking suck cock. It's like a bunch of jock motherfuckers sitting around all day playing along to a metronome and talking about venusian modes. Sometimes ya just gotta rock. There's a point in time where it stops being music, and starts becoming sports.
I couldn't agree more!

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Wed September 6th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Greg has a point, we like all metal, but there are some aspects that are just gooch-tastic. Shadows Fall's vocalist ruins it. DragonForce's vocalist ruins it. The "metalcore" bands vocals usually ruin it. Mnemic is a fucking great band, the vocals are queer'r than a football bat. Vocals will make or break a band, and like drummers good vocalists are hard to come by.

Mr. Ackerfeldt's vox are glorious. Maiden fucking owns, and they've been doing it for goddamned ever. My favourite power metal vocalist is Tim Owens from Priest/Iced Earth. The Glorious Burden was fucking awesome.

kfoll

Post by kfoll » Wed September 6th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Well, this is interesting *cough* but, to get back on my original subject, I believe I will not try to sort out which Atlanta bands are "metalcore" or whether they blow, or whether they're the greatest thing since sliced American cheese. However, I do believe I might have to get someone's help when it comes to deciding what shows I should get out to see and shoot pictures at. Like I said before, I do not wish to be exclusive, but it's a waste of my time and money to go all the way to Atlanta to see a show and have it be something not really suited to my project. It's happened a couple of times lately that I'll go out to a show and the bands are completely un-metal, all except one or two, which of course makes it worthwhile but it gets tedious waiting for the really good ones to come on when you have to stand around in the heat and have to listen to emo or whatever.

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Thu September 7th, 2006, 5:50 am

Truth be told, I think that's just how it rolls around here. Any time one of the bands from town I'd like to actually see plays it's always with a bunch of crap-tastic, breakdown-laden, hardcore-under-the-guise-of-metal-being, shite.

Previous jokes aside, the sweet boys and girls of Atlanta Metal forums are probably the best source to come to as to what is pure garbage, and what is good.

I believe certain societal forces would like to see metal become the next big thing, and because of this every cock-smoker with a distortion pedal is trying to get a slice o' the metal pie. Some of the bands that are "metal" really, and I mean really, push their luck trying to get away with that title. The lads 'round here are right when they'd say there's a lot more metal-core than straight-up, motherfuckin' heavy metal.

I think the safest bet to discern whether it's a waste of time is to see whether there is a "core" anywhere in their description be it preceeded by hard or metal is irrelevent. Sheep in wolves clothing Miss Kelly.

I think most of the folks around here (on these boards) could qualify as the false metal police, and let you know whether something is worth your time. There's a band, I shall not mention them here, on the ATLmetal.com list, that I fucking don't care what they call themselves, they are fucking hardcore. The hard part about it is that they don't have it listed as their description, or in their genre, but that's what they fucking are. It's mind-numbing. I had the misfortune of seeing these chooch-a-holics, and they're hardcore. It's good, for hardcore, but they're not fucking metal.

You've asked a really good question, and based on what's been stated earlier, and with personal experience, for every good metal band here there are four metalcore acts totally wasting everyone's time.

If I had the time, I'd look into what the hell started metalcore, and why the fuck they decided they would put metal in their description. Or why they think slip-on shoes are cool. Or why they want to get all up in metal's fucking business, for that matter.

You've hit a sore spot for me, here, miss. If you can't tell, I think hardcore and all of its offshoots are for the birds.

The sweet folks here could probably amass a list of what NOT to see off of the roster of bands in town.