How'd you come up with your band's name?

discussions about Atlanta metal bands

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

kfoll

How'd you come up with your band's name?

Post by kfoll » Sun October 1st, 2006, 11:52 pm

I have read some of the descriptions you guys write about your bands on your Myspace pages, but a lot of you don't really elaborate on how your band got its name. I was thinking the other day also about how many bands there are with the word "Fallen" or "Fall" in them... I think that's probably a no-brainer, but it got me thinking how the more unique a band's name is, the more memorable it is after I've seen so many bands play. I have seen a few bands lately that I could not figure out what the name even meant, or if it meant anything at all... I've since learned what one of them meant from the drummer (Sybaritic) but there are a lot of others out there that are still enigmatic. Not that I want to strip away the "mystery" -- but I'm just kinda curious I guess as to how you go about picking out names for your band. Also, how much do you think the band's name affects the band itself in terms of its music -- does it set a standard for you to live up to, or does it even matter to you guys what it's called, beyond the fact that you want people to remember it?
----------------------------------

Vyserith

Post by Vyserith » Mon October 2nd, 2006, 11:23 am

The band Vyserith came up with its name one day when we were all getting stoned after a practice about four years ago and started making shit up... I thought of something with Vyse and the drummer had a word with rith in it so we cut the words down and mashed them together... Overrall we did not care what our name was as long as we played them music that we wanted to! I think if a band is trying to be trendy group then they will let their name decide their course of action for music glory... but otherwise i would say that most people in bands do not let their band name dictate what sound they start up and possibly grow to.
oh fuck-off world i'll get you yet!

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Mon October 2nd, 2006, 1:06 pm

We came up with our name while conjuring up Chris Farley through a Ouija board

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Mon October 2nd, 2006, 3:46 pm

I believe Amoebic Dysentery got their name when their original drummer died from a particularly nasty case of said disease. Rather tragic, but the East Cobb grind machine managed to soldier on.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Mon October 2nd, 2006, 5:53 pm

The official meaing of Ecryptus; I was trying to come up with a cool word for my first email address and AOL screen name back in 1996, and I wanted a word that nobody had. so I was learning latin, all the grammar and suffixes and I really like the word crypt, partly because of a comic book villan from image comics. So I kind of made up a latin word from crypt. The prefix "e" means "from" or "out of" and cryptus is latin in the subjective tense for "burial place, vault" or "hidden" as in coded or veiled. so in an offbeat way, it means "from the crypt" or you could say "from the hidden code." I decided to make it my band name in 2000 when I started writing music and programed drums with a playstation game called MTV Music generator. I had an entire album worth of that stuff (which about 5 people have heard...) before I found actual musicians to join the ranks. Thats how I came up with Ecryptus...

stalindrummer

Post by stalindrummer » Mon October 2nd, 2006, 6:14 pm

PORK! is about fuckin' a fat chick. Not because you want to, but because you have to. :?

egg yolkeo

Post by egg yolkeo » Tue October 3rd, 2006, 12:40 am

E.J. Diarrheaspray wrote:We came up with our name while conjuring up Chris Farley through a Ouija board
lmao classic

NeuroNomicon

Neuronomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Tue October 3rd, 2006, 5:57 am

Neuronomicon was originally a band called "Northern Arc", which the EP pays some tribute to. Northern Arc was actually a very hated DOT project that never really took off, but it's sort of taken on a meaning all to itself lately...At any rate, Neuronomicon just sort of got conjured up out of the aether one day. Typically we try and come up with imagery associated with a name, and Neuronomicon just struck us as the resonance of intruders cracking open a human soul like an egg.

Essentially it means, "Book of the Mind".

Strange

Post by Strange » Wed October 4th, 2006, 9:59 am

Prime Mover: Newton's Law states that: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. The Pirme Mover is the "External Force" with regard to all motion throughout the universe.

Package: It just seemed like a funny idea at the time.
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

kfoll

Post by kfoll » Wed October 4th, 2006, 11:02 am

LOL guys, thanks.. keep 'em coming.
Vyserith, why am I not surprised? Gimme some of that stuff, willya? :P I had a feeling that the "ith" was some kind of black metal reference since it seems like every black metal artist has to have a name that ends in "th"

I was thinking Neuronomicon sounded a lot like "Neuromancer," and the concept is very similar. I presume you're probably familiar with Gibson's books, but if not I recommend them... his work predates the Matrix and is probably what inspired it to begin with. But your explanation falls in line with the theme of most all of Gibsons work.

Alan, yeah I remember Josh telling me something about that once. It is a lot like the idea of karma as I see it, where there is a central logic even in the midst of chaos. Interesting stuff. In fact, Josh's explanation really made me curious to the point where I would like to pick his brain to hear it in more detail.

LOL, the Pork one -- funny, and Amoebic Dysentery, sick but sad and twisted, heh... and I'm fairly sure I know what Anal Secretion means... :wink: (Just so no one thinks I require an explanation of that)

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed October 4th, 2006, 11:25 am

kfoll wrote:I was thinking Neuronomicon sounded a lot like "Neuromancer," and the concept is very similar. I presume you're probably familiar with Gibson's books, but if not I recommend them... his work predates the Matrix and is probably what inspired it to begin with. But your explanation falls in line with the theme of most all of Gibsons work.
Since I have no band name to describe its origin I'll simply concur with this statement. I've read all of Gibson's books and they're all amazing reads. He pretty much invented the concept of cyberspace and the matrix back in 1984 with Neuromancer.

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Wed October 4th, 2006, 11:52 pm

William Gibson is a fucking genius/visionary.

The story BEHIND, "Agrippa" is rather pioneering in its own right.

Despite the similarities of the name, we've not delved into any Lovecraft works. The parallels between "The Matrix" and MMORPGS are rather stunning, and run almost parallel. The only area where these technologies diverge is in the interface between wetware/hardware. Rumous existed, a while back, of a future incarnation of Sony's Playstation platform involving a bio-port. Fanciful, but unlikely.

That being said, MMOG's are about as close to entering TRUE parallel "universes". They exist beyond physical reach, and their presence is maintained despite the connection to the user. It's very interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Sociologist gains fame through the study of such phenomena.

kfoll

Post by kfoll » Thu October 5th, 2006, 8:16 am

NeuroNomicon wrote:William Gibson is a fucking genius/visionary.

The story BEHIND, "Agrippa" is rather pioneering in its own right.

Despite the similarities of the name, we've not delved into any Lovecraft works. The parallels between "The Matrix" and MMORPGS are rather stunning, and run almost parallel. The only area where these technologies diverge is in the interface between wetware/hardware. Rumous existed, a while back, of a future incarnation of Sony's Playstation platform involving a bio-port. Fanciful, but unlikely.

That being said, MMOG's are about as close to entering TRUE parallel "universes". They exist beyond physical reach, and their presence is maintained despite the connection to the user. It's very interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Sociologist gains fame through the study of such phenomena.
Another movie dealing with this subject matter is Existenz, kind of an obscure movie but really good.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu October 5th, 2006, 1:37 pm

The Souls Unrest got its name from our music. we had a bunch of songs written and the overall feel of the songs was very bi-polar. the music back then(2000) was different than a lot you folks have heard. different vocalist and different drummer. the music was much more dark and was once described as a cross b/w emperor, his hero is gone and neurosis. we actually had a much more black metal apocalyptic sound back then. the songs ranged from super fast blasting madness to mind numbingly slow and droning. but its really hard to get drummers to play slow so when we changed drummers we dropped the slow songs. and the vocals were all re-worked so i could play and sing at the same time.....the change was in 2003 when most of you here first heard TSU.

all that to say that we named the band The Souls Unrest b/c our music sounded like the soundtrack to a seriously troubled life and the lyrics dealt with spiritual faith and conflict.

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Thu October 5th, 2006, 10:58 pm

[quote="BlazeTSU"
all that to say that we named the band The Souls Unrest b/c our music sounded like the soundtrack to a seriously troubled life and the lyrics dealt with spiritual faith and conflict.[/quote]

TSU Needs to score some Jason Kelly guest vox!