WUOG metal

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sun September 19th, 2004, 8:11 pm

I just wanted to plug Loud Fast Rules! :b4ldm3t4l: every Tuesday 10 to midnight on 90.5 FM WUOG in Athens. www.wuog.org has the link to listen online. It's the metal show and I am the DJ. I do what I can, but metal in Athens is nearly nonexistant so we're nowhere near as fancy as y'all at WREKage. I know that waiting for Friday to roll around must be agonizing so I'm here to present and opportunity to rock out on Tuesdays as well.

Thanks,
Greg :sm0k3: (not the Greg at WREK in case someone gets confused)
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun September 19th, 2004, 8:58 pm

Awesome, now I have something to listen to on the radio tuesdays as well.

Speaking of Athens metal, do you know a guy named Mike Smith up there? His twin brother who is also named Greg is one of my friends who goes to Tech, and also the person who re-ignited my interest in metal a few years ago. I forget the name of the band he plays in, they were like a Faith No More/Red hot Chili Peppers funk metal type of band and I don't even know if they're still together or not, but he is a badass bassist. He was also one of the Harry Dawg mascots for a while.

Anyways, welcome to the forums!

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sun September 19th, 2004, 9:08 pm

No I don't know any Mike Smiths, but the current hairy dawg went to my high school so close enough :wh4cky:

I'll warn you ahead of time that our archives for LFR are pitiful, but I'm working on that and also expanding my own CD collection. I've harassed the music director for more metal but we don't seem to get that much.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun September 19th, 2004, 10:49 pm

I hope you inaugurated your show with Fear Factory's "Dog Day Sunrise." ;)

How many watts do you guys pump out in Athens? Also, how well are UGA students familiar with your station? In general, Tech students don't give two shits about WREK. :P

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sun September 19th, 2004, 11:08 pm

Actually I opened with "Who Let the Dogs Out" ;)

We've got "26,000 watts of college radio debauchery" and I think most UGA students don't even give one shit about WUOG. But we don't stop the rock :b4ldm3t4l: even if no one is listening.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun September 19th, 2004, 11:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Sep 20 2004, 12:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 @ Sep 20 2004, 12:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Actually I opened with "Who Let the Dogs Out" ;) [/quote]
That's just wrong.....you made Satan cry.... :ev1l: :(

Maybe I'll play "Dog Day Sunrise" for you then. ;) I can see Athens being a tough town to create a metal scene. Porcupine Tree played the 40 Watt, but that's about the only band even remotely metal that ever has that I can remember in recent history.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sun September 19th, 2004, 11:22 pm

Satan is my bitch :p1st0ls: :ev1l:

the Knife Trade is from Athens and they're quite metal
Cancerstick is instrumental metal
Another Broken Vehicle is hardcore but quite good
but yeah there's not much
and Mastodon came to Tasty World but I was a douche and missed it :(

I saw Porcupine Tree when they came and loved it :D

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun September 19th, 2004, 11:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Sep 20 2004, 12:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 @ Sep 20 2004, 12:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> the Knife Trade is from Athens and they're quite metal [/quote]
I've seen them twice. They're not a bad band, but their vocalist has got to go, really dragging down the band. Unfortunately, I can say that for a LOT of bands I know around town. :P

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue September 21st, 2004, 10:43 pm

I dig the show, when I first turned it on around 10:45 or so I heard Dillenger Escape Plan then a bunch of local stuff.

Thanks for playing my request, I had a million different band names flowing in my head but couldn't spit one out for some reason or I'd have made a better request than Kataklysm.

Nice choices on the Daath and Arsis... Daniel and Darkwolfen will be happy to hear you played some Blind Guardian and Children of Bodom.

One question - how strict is WUOG with obscenities? WREK is real anal about us playing stuff with obscenities in it but that CoB song you played had two or three fucks in it... I guess your station's GM is a little more lenient than ours.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue September 21st, 2004, 11:32 pm

Actually I'm just a douche and those fucks caught me off guard. I'm hoping you and I were the only ones paying attention. Usually I don't have to worry about it since the vocals are unintelligible but the stupid CoB fucker just had to enunciate! :FU: But anyways, thanks a lot for listening and requesting. I'm glad you requested Kataklysm though because I usually have to take someone 2nd or 3rd choice due to our small archive (even though that was your 2nd choice).

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Wed September 22nd, 2004, 12:21 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Sep 22 2004, 04:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 @ Sep 22 2004, 04:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Actually I'm just a douche and those fucks caught me off guard. I'm hoping you and I were the only ones paying attention. Usually I don't have to worry about it since the vocals are unintelligible but the stupid CoB fucker just had to enunciate! :FU: But anyways, thanks a lot for listening and requesting. I'm glad you requested Kataklysm though because I usually have to take someone 2nd or 3rd choice due to our small archive (even though that was your 2nd choice). [/quote]
Hey Greg (UGA)
If you want I can try to contact some labels for you in order to get you some more stuff , If you would like me to. Also if you have a good computer and a fast connection there's an awesome download program called Soulseek where you can get TONS of good metal (FULL CD'S) from , including rare metal. The URL is <a href='http://www.slsknet.org' target='_blank'>http://www.slsknet.org</a> , I recommend donating &#036;5 from your paypal account and you will get PRIORITY downloads. I have gotten over 100 new CD's in less than 2 weeks. It's by far the best program I have seen. I could also send you a data disc slammed with CD's , if you have the capabilties of extrating them. I don't mind , just wanna help. Let me know , just email me.

David

Also Greg (WREK)
I can send you a data disc or two as well , let me know.
Does WREK have a burner so you can extract them?

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Thu September 23rd, 2004, 5:57 am

Contacting labels would be awesome. It's too early and the Melvins rocked my ass last night but I'll be back later and we can work out the details. :b4ldm3t4l: Thanks.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Thu October 7th, 2004, 1:33 am

You guys may wanna check his show out this week. I just sent him data discs with over a 100 CD's on them , so now he has got some great music.
Tune In , Should be fun!

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Thu October 7th, 2004, 8:55 am

I just wanted to clarify that we've always had great music, just not very much of it :P But do tune it - the show will be rocking extra Loud and Fast thanks to David. :b4ldm3t4l:

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon October 11th, 2004, 11:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Sep 19 2004, 11:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 @ Sep 19 2004, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Actually I opened with "Who Let the Dogs Out" ;) [/quote]
Absolutely amazing.