9 Lives shutdown??

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon October 18th, 2004, 9:30 pm

Damn, that seemed to come right out of nowhere to me.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon October 18th, 2004, 10:09 pm

Whoa...that is a shock, especially since they had still shows on their calander. First 9 Lives, next is the Cotton Club, and then the Masquerade. Interesting... :P

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue October 19th, 2004, 6:21 am

Woah..... Dropping like flies. :(

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue October 19th, 2004, 8:44 pm

this is crazy! its friggin retarded how atlanta has some really good metal and a lot of good rock and we can't keep our clubs open! theres millions of people in this stupid town that love rock and metal that sit on their buts and refuse to fork over $5 to see a good show. i used to have some sort of "atlanta pride" or something but thats starting to fade a whole lot!

at least we still have the drunken unicorn, breakers and hopefully swayzes will be able to help pick up some of the slack........BUT who's going to pick up the larger shows???? the ones that the masquerade handles????

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Tue October 19th, 2004, 10:10 pm

WHAT?!?!?!?!
The Masquerade is closing? WHEN?

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Tue October 19th, 2004, 10:43 pm

Yeah, Dave has been talking about selling 9 Lives for about 6 months now. His business has been suffering for awhile now and I think there are some other factors that drove his business down which I will not discuss here. I just didn't expect it to happen suddenly like that. One night it was open, and the next, it was closed; no closing party and I wonder what the bands think if it. I went to see The Reckoning last Friday and that was the day the bar closed (so the band didn't play). and I know that Hallows Eve was looking forward to playing there on the 30th. This sucks!

I heard that the Masquerade will be closing in almost a year so they could build condos and a parking deck. :( This is the first time I've heard that the Cotton Club will be closing. Maybe Earthlink Live and The Tabernacle could pickup the larger shows. and Swayzes can get the smaller shows.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Tue October 19th, 2004, 11:24 pm

There are lots of rumors that Earthlink *might* pick up the slack, but it's no guarentee. Supposedly the owners of the Masq are going to build a new club outside the perimeter. Again, we'll see. :P

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Wed October 20th, 2004, 12:49 am

from everything ive heard, the masquerade is opening in underground atlanta, which i think is a horrible idea
play your gloom axe

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Wed October 20th, 2004, 8:16 am

9 lives is closing? Good riddance!

Earthlink live is too big for metal shows. I'd like to see more shows at the Echo lounge but I don't see it happening.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed October 20th, 2004, 8:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-fukrholestkhed+Oct 20 2004, 01:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fukrholestkhed @ Oct 20 2004, 01:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> from everything ive heard, the masquerade is opening in underground atlanta, which i think is a horrible idea [/quote]
Yeah, the owners own a bunch of shit in Underground so it wouldn't be surprising to hear that they'd want to consolidate everything there. Clubs come and go but the Masquerade getting demolished for condos is truely sad...

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed October 20th, 2004, 12:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-AmoebicDysentery+Oct 20 2004, 09:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AmoebicDysentery @ Oct 20 2004, 09:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Earthlink live is too big for metal shows. I'd like to see more shows at the Echo lounge but I don't see it happening. [/quote]
From my understanding, the Masquerade and Earthlink have very similiar capacities. Max that I've heard for the Masquerade is around 1100 while the max for Earthlink is roughly around 1200. So, size really isn't the issue. On the other hand, the Echo Lounge is too small, and is in no way capable of accomodating large audiences. If Earthlink doesn't bid metal shows and the Masquerade isn't rebuilt (I've heard the underground rumor as well :P), there will be a serious void in Atlanta for booking shows around the 1000 ppl capacity.

Well, isn't the capacity of the Roxy around 900? I know Megadeth played there...once...

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed October 20th, 2004, 4:05 pm

Yeah the Roxy holds decent sized shows. Earthlink Live (Centerstage) used to be a pretty decent place to see shows back in the day. International Ballroom used to hold pretty decent sized shows as well.

The void that would be created by Masq closing would hopefully be lucrative enough that it will be quickly filled.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed October 20th, 2004, 4:36 pm

Underground could potentially be a cool place, it's just such a pain to get there among other obvious reasons not to go there.

Maybe us metalheads can take it over when/if the Masq re-opens there and give it a reason to be called "Underground Atlanta".

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed October 20th, 2004, 4:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Oct 20 2004, 05:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Oct 20 2004, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Maybe us metalheads can take it over when/if the Masq re-opens there and give it a reason to be called "Underground Atlanta". [/quote]
Yeah...we should definitely band together...because I have no desire to go there by myself. The Masquerade isn't in exactly a good neighborhood already, but underground? Someone needs to clean it up, so the metalheads can take over, which means lots of tattoo parlors, liquor stores, strip clubs...hmmm...maybe it won't be that much work after all... :wh4cky:

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Wed October 20th, 2004, 9:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Oct 20 2004, 01:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Oct 20 2004, 01:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> this is crazy! its friggin retarded how atlanta has some really good metal and a lot of good rock and we can't keep our clubs open! theres millions of people in this stupid town that love rock and metal that sit on their buts and refuse to fork over &#036;5 to see a good show. i used to have some sort of "atlanta pride" or something but thats starting to fade a whole lot!

at least we still have the drunken unicorn, breakers and hopefully swayzes will be able to help pick up some of the slack........BUT who's going to pick up the larger shows???? the ones that the masquerade handles???? [/quote]
Yeah, whatever happens we need more metal shows around here, the scene has like abruptly died. Except for the Cernunnos show this saturday I dont know of any metal shows I really look forward to.