METALLICA!!

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Mon November 15th, 2004, 4:55 pm

i went to the metallica show saturday night and it was awesome! other then a few dissapointments about songs they didn't play and the fact that godsmack opened it was great.

as many of you know, metallica is my favorite band off of their first five albums alone. this was my first time ever seeing them and i loved everyone minute of it except for when they played some song from st. anger and it was the worst song i've ever seen live. it looked like they knew it sucked too, seemed like a chore to play it.

they opened the show with blackened, which was awesome.........they played master of puppets and fulfilled a lifelong dream for me....it was the best song i've ever seen live. they played fight fire with fire, lepper messiah, one, seek and destroy, fade to black.....and more. the songs they didn't play that dissapointed me were....battery! damage inc.! four horsemen! hit the lights! and creeping death!

lots of things blowing up and a rotating stage! awesome show

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon November 15th, 2004, 6:27 pm

Not bad. How much was it? I haven't seen them since 1992. Maybe I should see them again considering they play so much of their good stuff.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue November 16th, 2004, 5:26 am

No "Creeping Death"? No "die die die die die die die!" chant?

LAME.

Actually I'd heard they were playing mostly old songs, which is a Good Thing. I was a charter member of the Metallica Club waybackwhen, and WREKage-Tim and I used to know them (Tim knew Jason reallly well; I knew Kirk somewhat).....but their fire faded a long time ago and Metallica is probably the most disappointing story in the history of metal.

A shame, too....I'm sure they're still a great live act.

Meanwhile, many of us were at Cradle of Filth et al. at the Masquerade, where I coulda gotten two (maybe three) CoF tickets for the price of one 'Tallica ticket. (Not that we had to pay, but still....)

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue November 16th, 2004, 3:37 pm

Meanwhile, many of us were at Cradle of Filth et al. at the Masquerade, where I coulda gotten two (maybe three) CoF tickets for the price of one 'Tallica ticket. (Not that we had to pay, but still....)
yeah, but COF is horrid! and i'd much rather see washed up legends then washed out nobodies! ;)

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue November 16th, 2004, 8:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage&#045;Paul+Nov 16 2004, 05:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage&#045;Paul &#064; Nov 16 2004, 05:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> .....but their fire faded a long time ago and Metallica is probably the most disappointing story in the history of metal. [/quote]
I'm calling ya out on this one Paul... Flag on the play - Personal Foul!

How can you say all that when you were a super-secret-special-Metalliclub[TM] member with Kirk Hammett posters all over your walls?!?! Seriously tho, so what if their last couple of albums suck ass and some of the members have horribly bad personalities? They changed metal. They put out a few of the best metal albums of all time. Metal would not be where it is today without this band.

I don't listen to St Anger and I sure as hell don't want to hang out with Lars. I do have Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Garage Days and And Justice for All in my big ol collection of random mp3s that I listen to throughout the day, every day. And to think, I was never in the fan club.... :o

It's good to hear that they're still doing good live shows. Doesn't that mean they still have their "fire"?

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue November 16th, 2004, 11:20 pm

I'm glad to hear they're sticking with their old stuff.

It's really too bad that they still have the talent to play their old stuff solid but won't make any more music like that. I'm all for bands evolving and changing and growing and everything, but surely deep down in their hearts they must have realized their last couple of studio albums sucked? It sounds like it's reflected in their recent concert setlists since they're avoiding them now.

I wonder if most of the younger kids at their shows who were weaned on Load and St. Anger hear their old stuff and think "Oh man, I can't wait for the next Metallica album to come out that will have all these new songs on it!".

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed November 17th, 2004, 1:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Nov 16 2004, 11:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Nov 16 2004, 11:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It's really too bad that they still have the talent to play their old stuff solid but won't make any more music like that. I'm all for bands evolving and changing and growing and everything, but surely deep down in their hearts they must have realized their last couple of studio albums sucked? It sounds like it's reflected in their recent concert setlists since they're avoiding them now. [/quote]
Blaze and I were talking about this yesterday. Metallica knows that they can put out the most horrible music and it won't matter. People will still support them and come to their shows. Like Blaze said, They know what got them there.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed November 17th, 2004, 1:24 pm

So are metal musicians pretty much just doomed if they achieve any level of success? Suppose they start out with something that's good and get's over. Then what? If they make another album like that then they're critisized that they're just pumping out the same ol stuff. If they change, well then it doesn't sound like the old stuff that made them successful. :huh:

But then suppose they realize that they've peaked and decide to go no further. That may satisfy the elite purists of us but it doesn't pay their bills. Hell, they can't even sell shirts to posers to make a living. :lol: What's next? A warehouse job so that they can maintain their l33t status?

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed November 17th, 2004, 4:06 pm

i'm with bob.....even his shot at my position on poser sales. ;)

really, in all honesty the only "bad" album metallica has put out is st. anger. load and reload were actually great ROCK albums. they didn't sound like anybody else and it was really well done, it just wasn't metal so it pissed us all off. i'm over it now and eventhough i don't own load or reload i can listen to the songs and appreciate them for being really good. they played fuel, no leaf clover and the memory remains at the show the other day and all those songs were awesome live.

They changed metal. They put out a few of the best metal albums of all time. Metal would not be where it is today without this band.
i've been saying this for years........i'm known as the metallica defender in many peoples minds........glad to see that somebody else standing firm.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue November 23rd, 2004, 5:01 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Nov 16 2004, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious &#064; Nov 16 2004, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-WREKage&#045;Paul+Nov 16 2004, 05:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage&#045;Paul &#064; Nov 16 2004, 05:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> .....but their fire faded a long time ago and Metallica is probably the most disappointing story in the history of metal. [/quote]
I'm calling ya out on this one Paul... Flag on the play - Personal Foul!

How can you say all that when you were a super-secret-special-Metalliclub[TM] member with Kirk Hammett posters all over your walls?!?! Seriously tho, so what if their last couple of albums suck ass and some of the members have horribly bad personalities? They changed metal. They put out a few of the best metal albums of all time. Metal would not be where it is today without this band.

I don't listen to St Anger and I sure as hell don't want to hang out with Lars. I do have Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Garage Days and And Justice for All in my big ol collection of random mp3s that I listen to throughout the day, every day. And to think, I was never in the fan club.... :o

It's good to hear that they're still doing good live shows. Doesn't that mean they still have their "fire"?[/quote]

Uh, Bob, how does my comment up there conflict with the fact that I used to like them a lot, was a member of their fan club, had VIP laminates on the tours, etc.? There's no question that Metallica changed the face of metal, and changed the face of radio airplay for metal, forever. And for the better. Metallica didn't open the radio floodgates waybackwhen, BTW. It was Guns'n'Roses; Metallica came along within a year and broke things open....

I'm happy that my friends and I were there during a good part of those magical days. We may even have had a hand in exposing another deserving band to a wider audience, namely Faith No More. (Ask me sometime about the Greenville Camera Story.)

BUT..... Times change. The Earth moves slowly in her diurnal course. And Metallica lost the fire, the hunger, the drive that got them onto the top of the heap. You would, too, if you no longer HAD to play shows to make ends meet and now have enough money to buy your own island.

It really seems like they're just going through the motions nowadays. We were listening to a recent live 'Tallica recording at the station this past Friday (Dan, was that a bootleg or an official release?) and you could clearly tell that Lars was being lazy. "Double-bass? Nahh, I won't bother."

Back in the day, Metallica were one of the fan-friendliest bands around. They'd deliberately set a time to go outside and talk to the fans who were waiting outside the backstage fence and sign autographs. Tim and I saw this procedure from the inside.

Later, this practice declined.

So did Metallica.
www.wrekage.org

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue November 23rd, 2004, 9:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage&#045;Paul+Nov 23 2004, 07:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage&#045;Paul &#064; Nov 23 2004, 07:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> We were listening to a recent live 'Tallica recording at the station this past Friday (Dan, was that a bootleg or an official release?) and you could clearly tell that Lars was being lazy. &nbsp; "Double-bass? &nbsp; Nahh, I won't bother."
[/quote]
That was on the Some Kind Of Monster EP, I think it came out back when the movie did.

If it was a bootleg we'd all be in internet jail right now. :P

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue November 23rd, 2004, 12:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage&#045;Paul+Nov 16 2004, 05:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage&#045;Paul &#064; Nov 16 2004, 05:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ..... Metallica is probably the most disappointing story in the history of metal. [/quote]
<!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Nov 16 2004, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious &#064; Nov 16 2004, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm calling ya out on this one Paul...&nbsp; Flag on the play - Personal Foul![/quote]
Uh, Bob, how does my comment up there conflict with the fact that I used to like them a lot, was a member of their fan club, had VIP laminates on the tours, etc.?&nbsp; &nbsp; There's no question that Metallica changed the face of metal, and changed the face of radio airplay for metal, forever.&nbsp; &nbsp; And for the better.&nbsp; &nbsp; Metallica didn't open the radio floodgates waybackwhen, BTW.&nbsp; It was Guns'n'Roses; Metallica came along within a year and broke things open....&nbsp; &nbsp;

I'm happy that my friends and I were there during a good part of those magical days.&nbsp; We may even have had a hand in exposing another deserving band to a wider audience, namely Faith No More.&nbsp; &nbsp; (Ask me sometime about the Greenville Camera Story.)

BUT.....&nbsp; &nbsp; Times change.&nbsp; The Earth moves slowly in her diurnal course.&nbsp; &nbsp; And Metallica lost the fire, the hunger, the drive that got them onto the top of the heap.&nbsp; You would, too, if you no longer HAD to play shows to make ends meet and now have enough money to buy your own island.

It really seems like they're just going through the motions nowadays.&nbsp; We were listening to a recent live 'Tallica recording at the station this past Friday (Dan, was that a bootleg or an official release?) and you could clearly tell that Lars was being lazy.&nbsp; "Double-bass?&nbsp; Nahh, I won't bother."

Back in the day, Metallica were one of the fan-friendliest bands around.&nbsp; They'd deliberately set a time to go outside and talk to the fans who were waiting outside the backstage fence and sign autographs.&nbsp; &nbsp; Tim and I saw this procedure from the inside.&nbsp;

Later, this practice declined.&nbsp;

So did Metallica.
My point is with your original statement "Metallica is probably the most disappointing story in the history of metal." So what that they went downhill - they peaked along time ago but they peaked damn high. They can't stay peaked every day for 20+ years after so they're now "the most disappointing story in the history of metal"??? geez... I guess Dream Theater is the most dissappointing story in the history of progressive metal since past accomplishments mean nothing, only the latest material matters.
how does my comment up there conflict with the fact that I used to like them a lot, was a member of their fan club, had VIP laminates on the tours, etc.?
Those things have nothing to do with music or the history of metal. That was probably the beginning of the Metallica cash machine.
There's no question that Metallica changed the face of metal, and changed the face of radio airplay for metal, forever. And for the better. Metallica didn't open the radio floodgates waybackwhen, BTW. It was Guns'n'Roses; Metallica came along within a year and broke things open....
wow, where to start... radio floodgates, and I assume you're equating radio w/ 96 rock, etc, is always about 5+ years behind what's going on unless you're talking about poser commercial stuff that's only geared toward appealing to the commercial radio conglomerates. Metallica's true impact hit fans and inspired other bands long before their music ever hit commercial radio. GNR? as far as "metal" goes that's laughable milli vanilli shit for hair farmers, sorry. Sure it was good rock for the time but it wasn't metal and it didn't open any flood gates...

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu November 25th, 2004, 3:29 am

i'd say that metallica is still pretty fan friendly. i mean, they still tour almost all year long and they play 2-3 hours a night. thats pretty friendly. they've hit a level of popularity that doesn't allow them the means to go outside and chit chat with random folks.

i know i know, the napster thing, the other suings blah blah blah......like lars says on "some kind of monster" about the napster thing..."sometimes you make a decision to do what you think is right and you do it. i had to see it through no matter what." paraphrase of course.

and i also agree with bob in saying that metallica had already done wonders for metal long before they were ever played on the radio. they were selling out arenas as an opening band and going platinum with no air play. without them we'd still be listening to new wave techno bs on the radio! j/k

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat November 27th, 2004, 5:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Nov 25 2004, 03:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Nov 25 2004, 03:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i'd say that metallica is still pretty fan friendly. i mean, they still tour almost all year long and they play 2-3 hours a night. thats pretty friendly. they've hit a level of popularity that doesn't allow them the means to go outside and chit chat with random folks.

i know i know, the napster thing, the other suings blah blah blah......like lars says on "some kind of monster" about the napster thing..."sometimes you make a decision to do what you think is right and you do it. i had to see it through no matter what." paraphrase of course.

and i also agree with bob in saying that metallica had already done wonders for metal long before they were ever played on the radio. they were selling out arenas as an opening band and going platinum with no air play. without them we'd still be listening to new wave techno bs on the radio! j/k [/quote]
I couldn't have said it better myself!

I went to this show and some people can't believe that I would see Metallica over Cradle of Filth. Fuck CoF! Metallica is my favorite band! That was my fourth time seeing Metallica so I previously had the satisfaction of chanting 'DIE! DIE!...' I was so happy since they played a shitload of songs that they usually don't play live. I've been dying to see No Leaf Clover played live. Also, I'm kind of glad they only played one song from St. Anger. That album just isn't up to their standards. Like somebody else said, Load and Reload aren't metal but they're good albums anyway. :m3t4l:
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue November 30th, 2004, 7:21 am

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Nov 25 2004, 04:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU &#064; Nov 25 2004, 04:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i'd say that metallica is still pretty fan friendly.&nbsp; i mean, they still tour almost all year long and they play 2-3 hours a night. thats pretty friendly. they've hit a level of popularity that doesn't allow them the means to go outside and chit chat with random folks.[/quote]
Actually, they were chit-chatting with fans outside the gates during big tours -- large arena tours -- back in the 1989-1993 era.

Of course, they were cagey about it. If you wanted to chat, you could expect to wait at least 2-3 hours after the show was over for 'em. The numbers of waiting fans would dwindle (usually) down to something manageable. :)

BTW, Bob, I'm really disappointed in Dream Theater nowadays, too. Funny you should mention them. (But they're not the most disappointing slide in prog-metal; most in "the scene" give that dubious honor to Queensryche.)

www.wrekage.org