Sounds of The Underground Tour

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 4th, 2005, 10:38 am

holly wrote:What you're saying doesn't really apply to any of the bands he mentioned.
Maybe Since the Flood because they aren't a straight hardcore band, and the metalcore tends to draw out a few more kids.
But really, when you're talking "trendy" and "hardcore," the local bands at least certainly don't fit into that classification.
i actually do not think that metalcore bands draw better here anymore. The atlanta hardcore scene has taken a complete turn in the other direction. All the straight up hardcore bands are the ones that draw really well now. Most of the kids who wore girls pants a year or two ago and listened to between the buried and me now listen to only old school hardcore punk and hate metalcore. most of these hardcore shows draw close to 400 or 500 kids. the metalcore is big. but the old school hardcore thing is whats trendy here right now. but hardcore really doesnt have a place in the metal scene.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed May 4th, 2005, 4:34 pm

Matt wrote:
holly wrote:What you're saying doesn't really apply to any of the bands he mentioned.
Maybe Since the Flood because they aren't a straight hardcore band, and the metalcore tends to draw out a few more kids.
But really, when you're talking "trendy" and "hardcore," the local bands at least certainly don't fit into that classification.
i actually do not think that metalcore bands draw better here anymore. The atlanta hardcore scene has taken a complete turn in the other direction. All the straight up hardcore bands are the ones that draw really well now. Most of the kids who wore girls pants a year or two ago and listened to between the buried and me now listen to only old school hardcore punk and hate metalcore. most of these hardcore shows draw close to 400 or 500 kids. the metalcore is big. but the old school hardcore thing is whats trendy here right now. but hardcore really doesnt have a place in the metal scene.
Again, I go to these shows, and what you're saying isn't really true.
The bands that pack out Swayze's and the Masquerade are either Christian (Norma Jean) or are on bigger hardcore/metalcore labels (Trustkill, Victory, etc). I wouldn't necessarily call Hatebreed or Terror or whatever an old school hardcore band.

I like those bands, but I was talking mainly about the actual old school bands (read: with two-step parts & no breakdowns) that are out right now who are on smaller labels or who aren't on labels at all.

That is what Atlanta hardcore is about right now. Half of the kids you see at a Hatebreed show are either mall kids or used to be into nu-metal. You'd be hard pressed to find someone in Atlanta hardcore who thought that those kids were one of them.

That sounds really dumb, but it's true. I tend to stay neutral to the whole thing and just listen to whatever - mainly because the Atlanta hardcore kids are mostly pricks and I could care less about socializing with a bunch of giant-libido-ed, high school and college drop-outs.

& I'm sorry, but what exactly did your last sentence have to do with anything?

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 5th, 2005, 1:36 pm

i just think hardcore has no place in the metal scene. and im not even talking Hatebreed or even Terror. Im talking about Bane, comeback kid, casey jones, kids like us, righteous jams, outbreak, champion, down to nothing, 100 demons, etc etc all the bands that all the kiddies go to. i dont even consider people who liek atreyu or norma jean a part of hardcore. i meant the real hardcore bands, they all draw extremely well. the whole "hardcore" thing is just trendy now. i mean im sure the mall bands like norma jean draw bigger than kids like us or champion.
Half of the kids you see at a Hatebreed show are either mall kids or used to be into nu-metal.
I bet about 75-80% of the kids who go to hardcore shows used to listen to some numetal or mall punk. i mean unless they were around 10-15 years ago they had to start somewhere. I've only been listening to real metal for 5 years. But i only got into the real metal after starting off with the numetal. . the whole point is everyone starts off with the crappy stuff.

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu May 5th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Matt wrote: i only got into the real metal after starting off with the numetal.
poser 8)