Amorphis, Into Eternity, Beyond the Embrace, Ecryptus 3-25

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Ecrypt

Amorphis, Into Eternity, Beyond the Embrace, Ecryptus 3-25

Post by Ecrypt » Fri March 18th, 2005, 4:01 am

My band Ecryptus is opening for Amorphis at the Masquerade on March 25! We play first up stairs at 7pm, contact me if you want $2 off a ticket.
www.darkageentertainment.com/ecryptus
Amorphis
Into Eternity
Beyond the Embrace
Single Bullet Theory
Ecryptus
7pm Friday March 25, 2005
Masquerade
$14 adv($12 from us)

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri March 25th, 2005, 2:40 pm

I had planned on going to this but remembered that Steve Morse is tonight also. It was a tough decision at first, but then I remembered I've seen Amorphis four times, and the other touring bands once each, and have never seen Steve Morse.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sat March 26th, 2005, 4:08 am

ratanda wrote:I had planned on going to this but remembered that Steve Morse is tonight also. It was a tough decision at first, but then I remembered I've seen Amorphis four times, and the other touring bands once each, and have never seen Steve Morse.
You chose...wisely. Man, what a disaster. Stu and Rob from Into Eternity were too sick to play (Rob with pneumonia), with the remaining band playing what they could for a few "songs." Then Amorphis came on....and, well....sucked. I like Amorphis and was hoping for a good show, which they did not deliver. The band looked like they were going through the motions. The vocalist was way down in the mix too, and I think that was because, from what I could hear, you didn't really want him any louder. In truth, Into Eternity's having to drop off this tour is probably the best thing that could happen to them.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun March 27th, 2005, 10:28 pm

Wow that sucks... I was kinda wondering on Friday if I should have come back home for this and Wrekage or not.

Looks like I made the right choice as far as the concert went... I always hate missing out on Wrekage though. :cry:

bid

Post by bid » Mon March 28th, 2005, 1:43 pm

Greg wrote:I always hate missing out on Wrekage though. :cry:
liar.. you have been missing wrekage for months now.
bidyut

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri April 1st, 2005, 3:22 pm

ratanda wrote:I had planned on going to this but remembered that Steve Morse is tonight also. It was a tough decision at first, but then I remembered I've seen Amorphis four times, and the other touring bands once each, and have never seen Steve Morse.
Well? How was Steve? :D

I saw Dixie Dregs open for Dream Theater a few years ago at the Tabernacle, and after their set, I turned to my friends (buncha DT fans) in the front row and said "Dream who?" Steve and co. were THAT good.

The next day I flew down to see the tour again in Orlando at House of Blues. Again, Dregs were totally brilliant, and that ended up being one of the best DT shows I've ever seen.

Lotta love between the bands on that tour, too...as you'd expect. I think Steve flew some of DT down to Orlando in his own plane.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri April 8th, 2005, 10:41 am

WREKage-Paul wrote:Well? How was Steve? :D
Absolutely awesome. One of the best shows I've ever been too. Those guys are monsters on their instruments. The Steve Morse band opened up and the Dixie Dregs headlined.

In the first Dixie Dreg song, the 5 musicians alternated playing a lick of a certain number of bars. Each time they'd rotate, the bars would get fewer and fewer, and the last time was a fast blaze of notes from all 5 of them that was TIGHT as hell.

At the end, Van Romaine, drummer for the Steve Morse band, and the only person not in both bands came back out, and he and Rod Morgenstein played drum solos together. Right when it sounded like they were both off in their own worlds, they'd play the exact same thing showing they were indeed keeping track. One of the coolest percussion performances I've ever seen.

Then the rest of the Dixie Dregs came out and for the last 10 minutes or so they all played one big jam session. Quite a good show indeed.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Sun April 10th, 2005, 2:04 am

maybe I'm slightly bias here but I thought it was a pretty good show. The very fact that Into Eternity still even played, and performed quite well as half a band mind you, was more than was required of them considering their circumstances. Amorphis was in higher energy than I had seen them in the past. Their new singer did miss some of the high notes but I think it sounded like a fitting replacement for Pasi, who seemed at past shows to not care for being on stage at all. The new guy, Tomi, has much more energy and stage presense. His other band was called Nevergreen and their recordings are quite impressive, in the same Paradise Lost post-goth vien. I'll be anxious to hear how he reoords and writes with Amorphis. The crowd was great and they played lots of goodies from Tales of the Thousand Lakes, and even a track from Karelian Isthmus (the growls were well up to par by the way...) The lowlight of the night was Single Bullet Theory and some of the bands downstairs... wish I had known Ground Xero was there beforehand or id have gotten them upstairs with us. Also, why does Beyond the Embrace need 3 guitarists? they sounded better live than thier recordings (cough cough metallica meets in flames) but I couldnt get over that third guy pretending to be Iron Maiden. Anyway, Dan R you missed out, but I forgive that you had seen them many other times... Dont buy the hype F'n Dan, the show wasnt that bad!!! heh heh

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon April 11th, 2005, 1:10 pm

Ecrypt wrote:Anyway, Dan R you missed out, but I forgive that you had seen them many other times
No offense Mike but I don't regret my decision whatsoever. I had a great time at the show I attended and don't feel that I missed out on anything at all.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Mon April 11th, 2005, 9:08 pm

non taken homie! like I said you're off the hook for seeing them tons of other times. heh heh
just thought I'd chime in on the positive aspects of the night