Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Hypocrisy

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Hypocrisy

Post by ratanda » Wed April 27th, 2005, 12:29 pm

So I saw many of you there last night. What'd you think?

Hypocrisy was really good. I liked their selection of songs even though they didn't play Roswell 47. I thought Dark Tranquillity were excellent. Soilwork had cool lights, but shitty sound. It would take me a second to recognize some songs, especially if they started fast.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed April 27th, 2005, 2:57 pm

Hmmm....I thought DT's sound sucked (and you could visibly see on stage that the band were unhappy with their monitors), and they were a bit sloppy. On the other hand, I thought Soilwork had the best sound I've heard at the Masquerade since Lamb of God. Where I was standing, the mix was damn near perfect, probably because when you turned around to front-house, a guy stood there that was obviously with Soilwork. Bringing your own sound guy = good idea. I'm also very intrigued by Krank amps after hearing Soilwork, because I thought Peter and Ola had a killer guitar tone. Although, I will admit, that Soilwork played The Chainheart Machine, Bastard Chain, and Sadistic Lullabye so fast, that they weren't very clear. Otherwise, I thought Soilwork put on one of the best performances I've seen. Definitely somewhere in my top 5 along with SYL, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth, and Brainstorm.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed April 27th, 2005, 6:46 pm

Hypocrisy was awesome, and I was pleasantly surprised.
They aren't a band that I would have gone out to see, so I'm glad that I ended up really enjoying them.
Sadly, Greg and I missed the first half of their set.

Dark Tranquility was so fucking good.
They are like the happiest metal band I have ever seen.
I think their attitudes on stage definitely rubs off on their audience.

& Soilwork was HEAVY AS FUCK.
Seriously the best sound I've heard in there for a while.
We only watched two songs, though, but I'm gonna check their stuff out.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed April 27th, 2005, 11:14 pm

Fn Dan's right, DT was kinda hit or miss sound-wise. The songs I was hoping they'd play (especially The Endless Feed and Final Resistance) sounded excellent though, but they sounded kinda muted when they played Punish My Heaven unfortunately.

I was mad I missed about half of Hypocrisy's set since I got there around 8:30 hoping to miss the first band. Mission accomplished on that front, but Hypocrisy went on way earlier than I thought they would. What I heard sounded great though, particularly God is a LIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!

Soilwork's sound was indeed heavy as hell and a pleasant surprise. Once I heard the words "this song is off of Natural Born Chaos!" I knew it was time for me to leave though - I figured I'd stay until I heard something that wasn't going to be heavy, and they made my mind up for me. That plus it was a school night and I had to be at my 8 and 9 am final reviews the next morning :(

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 1:30 pm

I thought all the bands were great...yes, even Mnemic, who made good use of a short slot. They got a bigger crowd response than I would have expected, too. (Cue Dan for his standard "but their first album sucks" rant.)

It was very much a WREKage audience too, even beyond the fact that all current WREKage deejays (and some prior) were present. \m/

Good to finally get out to see a show, too. (Wow, two in one week!)