make up your dream Wrekage playlist

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

make up your dream Wrekage playlist

Post by Greg » Mon June 13th, 2005, 6:07 pm

Alright, hopefully you'll put a little thought into this...

I'm curious as to what all of you would want your dream Wrekage show to sound like, make a playlist up of however many songs you want, the more the better. Here's the kicker though - try to do it either from stuff we have or stuff you know us hosts own so that when I go back through and read hopefully several replies to this, I can gather some information from this to get a little more insight into what a small, but easily accessible, portion of our audience likes. Check the Library link on the Wrekage site for a list of all the albums we have on both vinyl and CD, and if you don't see something you know you've heard before on the show then it's probably from our own personal collections. You can get a good idea what's in them by what we personally play on the show, check the Playlists link for that.

Hopefully I can gather some info about what our forum citizens dig more than others and work harder to serve your musical tastes, my masters. I'll post mine later on.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed June 15th, 2005, 12:42 pm

how about a formula rather than a specific list: play none of the bands that were played the previous week. also, do not let weight (heaviness) limit the selections.

I realize that this will cause some showhost's brains to hurt, if not totally implode, but that's good. No pain no gain.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Wed June 15th, 2005, 7:38 pm

BoB wrote:how about a formula rather than a specific list: play none of the bands that were played the previous week. also, do not let weight (heaviness) limit the selections.

I realize that this will cause some showhost's brains to hurt, if not totally implode, but that's good. No pain no gain.
What?! No Devildriver? or Slayer! or Pantera (specifically Primal Concrete Sludge)?! blasphemy. I must hear Probot Centuries of Sin every week. Along with Sworn Enemy.

But seriously, I try to not play the same bands every week and mix it up. And I usually tried to play the old stuff because people like it and it wasn't being played, but lately I'm not into it. So fuck it. No old stuff from me for awhile. I'm cool with expanding the show to include not so heavy/experimental things. I mean we have 8 hours to cover.
Err, not exactly. btw, those that know what i'm talking about we need to announce this.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Wed June 15th, 2005, 9:31 pm

I like the idea of going through the vault A-Z , hear me out , think of how many bands that wall holds just in the B or M section alone , if you were to due a whole show of nothing but bands that start with A for example and take requests for bands that start with that letter , that would be cool. Now I don't mean play the typical shit (Acid Bath , Anthrax )that gets decent rotation , but the bands that are usually overlooked. Like Averse Sefira or a few others I found with no airplay in YEARS if at all. Now I am not saying stick with one letter for the whole nights , but maybe 30 minutes per letter , or break it into several shows. This way would be an awesome way of mixing things up. Think of the new bands you may discover along with the listeners. I could be wrong AS USUAL but I know I never did it , I don't remember Shawn or Bob doing it , could always give it a try? What do you think?

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu June 16th, 2005, 2:34 am

Yeah most of the hosts are pretty decent about mixing things up but still, playing no bands from the previous week is really challenging. And yeah, also strike age of material from the 'limiting factors' category.

I think that Tim Bennett used to do Letter shows. I just remember them disintegrating into him putting that night's letter in front of band's names that didn't start that way (Mrong instead of Prong on M nights). But even with that he had a way of making it pretty funny.

So don't let me sidetrack things - what about other's ideas of good playlists/shows?

bid

Post by bid » Thu June 16th, 2005, 8:14 am

When I was in NY, I used to do stupid stuff at my radio show. Like I would annouce that I'm playing all track 3's. It was actually challenging to (a) find an airable tack 3 (b) find a decent track 3 (c) and use tricks like oh-its-track-3-on-this-single.

:) Just some of my craziness for my hour long crazyFormat show.
bidyut

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun June 19th, 2005, 4:18 am

I try not to repeat the same bands I played the previous week, unless it's a new release. I'm not always successful, and the longer the set, the more the odds are that I'll repeat something, but.... (This, coming from the guy who seldom prepares a formal playlist in advance.)

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon June 20th, 2005, 7:37 am

WREKage-Paul wrote:I try not to repeat the same bands I played the previous week, unless it's a new release.
Me too, I try my best to not repeat anything I played the week before, which was really easy this week since I wasn't on last week. The only stuff I play the same week to week are requests.

I also think we could stand to play more vinyl. I try to play at least one song off vinyl every half hour I'm on, a lot of that shit back there is really good if we'd all ever take the time to listen to it.

bid

Post by bid » Mon June 20th, 2005, 8:28 am

digression!! damnit. Make up that damned dream list.
bidyut

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue June 21st, 2005, 3:25 pm

One would be cool if there was a geographical theme night.

If each host took a different continent of metal. After Europe and North America, it would be stranger to find metal coming out of Africa ( :lol: ) or Asia. It would be revealing of the metal that has never been heard before or again for that matter! :lol:

The metal out of Antarctica is quite amazing, I've heard. :lol:

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri July 15th, 2005, 10:34 am

or as dark wolfen slaps on another genious idea, I suggest if youre going to play well known bands i.e. AT THE GATES, NAPALM DEATH, BLOODBATH etc.. have multiple releases by these bands set up so you can runoff a block of tracks from the band. either 2fer's or 3fer's that way some1 listening may hear a song by a band they like but not really the song theyd want played and chances are if the one in control had depthful knowledge of bands' discographies then sooner not later they'd get doses of metal fixes continously.
for example , try a block of dan swano music using releases from some of his different bands -

play a BLOODBATH song
goes into a track off the KARABOUDJAN release
and ends withq an EDGE of SANITY song

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri July 15th, 2005, 2:19 pm

I aim to please. :mrgreen:
Andy wrote:or as dark wolfen slaps on another genious idea,

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri July 15th, 2005, 5:47 pm

Andy wrote:or as dark wolfen slaps on another genious idea, I suggest if youre going to play well known bands i.e. AT THE GATES, NAPALM DEATH, BLOODBATH etc.. have multiple releases by these bands set up so you can runoff a block of tracks from the band. either 2fer's or 3fer's that way some1 listening may hear a song by a band they like but not really the song theyd want played and chances are if the one in control had depthful knowledge of bands' discographies then sooner not later they'd get doses of metal fixes continously.
for example , try a block of dan swano music using releases from some of his different bands -

play a BLOODBATH song
I actually had an idea to do something like that one night to play like the entire Emperor family tree except for Mortiis.

That's a good idea, I'll try to get something like that worked out soon.

Jinglepup

Post by Jinglepup » Sat July 16th, 2005, 12:42 pm

I dont know what u meant about the previous genious idea, it sounded pretty dumb to me. But your idea,thats a great isea because then it would expose people to new shit by the same band they like.
Andy wrote:or as dark wolfen slaps on another genious idea, I suggest if youre going to play well known bands i.e. AT THE GATES, NAPALM DEATH, BLOODBATH etc.. have multiple releases by these bands set up so you can runoff a block of tracks from the band. either 2fer's or 3fer's that way some1 listening may hear a song by a band they like but not really the song theyd want played and chances are if the one in control had depthful knowledge of bands' discographies then sooner not later they'd get doses of metal fixes continously.

play a BLOODBATH song

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Sat July 16th, 2005, 3:29 pm

Yeah I've done something similar. i played bands that Tomas Lindberg was in. Doing a full on family tree of At the gates would be cool.