Canopy looking for vocals and more....

need a drummer...a guitarist....or are you a vocalist wanting to join a band? this is the place to start the journey

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

slut rag

Canopy looking for vocals and more....

Post by slut rag » Thu July 19th, 2012, 11:49 am

Maybe Canopy could become a heavier band if we had some vocals? I'd like to try anyway...

copy/pasted from craigslist....where nobody responds to ads. :(

---------------

"Sludge" band with some post rock tendencies every now and then are looking for vocals. We dig bands such as Rwake, Mouth of the Architect, Neurosis, Omega Massif, Sleep, Today is the Day, Cult of Luna, Mogwai, US Christmas, etc. etc. So we are looking for someone who has an idea of what these bands sound like and know what kind of sound we're trying to achieve.

It would be nice if you didn't mind doing other things as well in the background such as theremins (we have one, you could use it..), samples, keyboards (and it not sound stupid), stuff like that.

We practice 30ish minutes south of Atlanta at least twice a week. Carpooling is always an option with members who travel from Atlanta if things work out. We want to keep playing shows for a little bit and get the word out. Then do some recording so please be willing to throw in your share for all the "perks" of being in a band when and if it comes down to it.

Im linking a video of an older show we did. I'd like to think we've gotten heavier since then..vocals could only help with getting a more aggresive sound out of us. Please email if you're interested in jamming. Thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrFpNOf7imY

-----------

fart

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Thu July 19th, 2012, 12:12 pm

chances are, most of you check CL daily and have seen my ad, LOL'd and scrolled on with your lives. in that case, i'm sorry.

muttondagger

Post by muttondagger » Thu July 19th, 2012, 3:31 pm

after listening to that song you posted on youtube a few times, it kind of gives me a pop-punk feel. I definitely like the tunes, I just hate pop-punk. I could try and write some lyrics and possibly put a vocal pattern to the song. I'll see what I come up with.

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Thu July 19th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Howell, I thought Canopy was suppose to be an instrumental project.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Thu July 19th, 2012, 4:26 pm

kagan, it was instrumental mostly due to the fact that we wanted vocals but didn't want them dominating the music (because we're not a death metal band...? if that makes any sense?) BUT im open to anything at this point. we need something new to refresh our interest in this thing because lately, it's been almost non existent, sadly.

muttondagger, appreciate you checking out the link but really?!?! pop punk?! thats a new one for us. i don't know anymore, our first demo sounds almost like a perfect circle or something like that. we got that comparison a few times, anyway.

you're more than welcome to put vocals to it somehow and send me a somewhat "finished" product if that's possible. would love to hear it.

muttondagger

Post by muttondagger » Thu July 19th, 2012, 8:11 pm

I wasn't trying to be offensive, at all. I hear your influences a lot more than anything else. And so far it's just that one song. I love Neurosis and Mogwai, and the rest you named. It's not the entire song, just certain notes, I guess the structure, of a couple of your 'sludge' riffs that remind me of 'that'(pop-punk) genre. I am sorry if any ill will was taken from my statement.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Fri July 20th, 2012, 8:15 am

I'd love to do throaty vocals for Canopy. But I'm getting too old :(

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Fri July 20th, 2012, 8:21 am

[quote="muttondagger"]I wasn't trying to be offensive, at all. I hear your influences a lot more than anything else. And so far it's just that one song. I love Neurosis and Mogwai, and the rest you named. It's not the entire song, just certain notes, I guess the structure, of a couple of your 'sludge' riffs that remind me of 'that'(pop-punk) genre. I am sorry if any ill will was taken from my statement.[/quote]

hah, you're good dude! i wasn't offended at all! i feel bad now if you thought that... i welcome all kinds of opinions, regardless if they're good or bad.

im still interested in hearing the song with vocals if you want to take a crack at it.

holiday rambler, thanks, bro! im sure you ain't that old though.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Fri July 20th, 2012, 8:34 am

Send me a tune, I'll put some vocals on at home.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Fri July 20th, 2012, 8:54 am

well, i hate the demo songs we have so those are out of the question..plus they don't really seem like vocals belong on them. in some weird way, i could hear vocals on the youtube link i posted. don't have that song recorded so the best i could do is take audio from that video and send an mp3 version if you're serious. but that might sound like ass for you....

if you aren't kidding, PM me your email address or something and i can send that to you.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Thu July 26th, 2012, 8:13 pm

It's gonna be like

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Fri July 27th, 2012, 11:44 am

LOL

i listened to the song, man and i like it though it was weird, in a cool way, to hear a song of ours with some vocals over it for once.

i know you're busy in wizard smoke but you're more than welcome to come down and jam if you ever feel like it/have the time. let me know.

otherwise, indeed it was a fun collaboration.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Fri July 27th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Fun stuff! Thank you. Ready for some Canopy shows.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Fri July 27th, 2012, 1:08 pm

well schedules have been conflicting way too much lately so we've only been jamming once a week which sucks. we're taking a break from shows for now but we're trying to get something going for mid-late october maybe. we should be good by then.

thanks for doing that though, i dig the throaty vocals!

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Fri July 27th, 2012, 1:30 pm

I'm sure the harmony part was your favorite -- s'cool bro, we all need some BeeGees influence here & there.