People going to Sounds of the Underground...

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

holly
WREKage Staff

People going to Sounds of the Underground...

Post by holly » Tue July 12th, 2005, 6:04 am

Check us out at the WREKage table today.
Help us show 99x how awesome we are!
Fuck the haters!

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue July 12th, 2005, 2:22 pm

why would 99x even be at sounds of the underground. not that any of the bands playing are even that underground anyways.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Tue July 12th, 2005, 10:59 pm

Matt wrote:why would 99x even be at sounds of the underground. not that any of the bands playing are even that underground anyways.
Having money pretty much equates to, "because we can."

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed July 13th, 2005, 2:18 am

just sounds silly because i bet 99x has never played a single one of the bands that played at sounds of the underground.

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Wed July 13th, 2005, 10:04 am

I wanted to See Opeth At This But There was No Way I Was Going To Pay That Money and Drive All The Way Down There To Watch Them Play For 30 minutes. (Deliverance, Drapery, Demon I heard), Anyone Who Went, How Was Their Set?

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed July 13th, 2005, 11:28 am

Opeth played The Drapery Falls, The Grand Conjuration, and Demon of the Fall....with Gene Hoglan on drums.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed July 13th, 2005, 6:33 pm

Asrynth wrote:I wanted to See Opeth At This But There was No Way I Was Going To Pay That Money and Drive All The Way Down There To Watch Them Play For 30 minutes. (Deliverance, Drapery, Demon I heard), Anyone Who Went, How Was Their Set?
I would have been happier taking a nap for that 30 minutes.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed July 13th, 2005, 9:53 pm

i thought that they were great..........but thats the only time that i have seen them. gene hoglan is the man!

i was well pleased by all the bands that i wanted to see........which was only high on fire, strapping young lad, gwar, opeth and clutch.

i was taking a nap while unearth played

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed July 13th, 2005, 10:11 pm

Fn Dan wrote:Opeth played The Drapery Falls, The Grand Conjuration, and Demon of the Fall....with Gene Hoglan on drums.
Gene rules.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed July 13th, 2005, 10:12 pm

BlazeTSU wrote:i thought that they were great..........but thats the only time that i have seen them. gene hoglan is the man!

i was well pleased by all the bands that i wanted to see........which was only high on fire, strapping young lad, gwar, opeth and clutch.

i was taking a nap while unearth played
Unearth bums me out more and more every time I see them.
I miss "Endless" era Unearth...

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Thu July 14th, 2005, 3:34 am

Decent festival, wayyy too much confusion and hassle. Good to see WREKage well-represented...at least until the rain hit. :shock:

I've posted my pics at http://www.paulcashman.com/sotu2005.html. SYL and Chimaera were before Tim got me a photo pass; the rest were afterward so I was in front between the stage and the barricade.

I ran out of room in the camera....time for an upgrade!

Sorry about the weird variance in quality (most especially the fuzziness)...it's the first time I've used the new camera (Kodak CX7530) at a show. \m/

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Thu July 14th, 2005, 11:28 am

My biggest complaint was the shitty sound. It was really bad during Lamb of God. They fixed it somewhat around halfway through but it was still pretty bad. I just couldn't get into their set.

I've never really heard Clutch and wow they are boring. I drove up after dropping off the equipment and I thought I had arrived at Bonnaroo or a Peter Frampton concert because they had that ridiculous wah pedal shit going on.

Unearth continues to not be as good as they used to be.
I was busy at the table during High on Fire unfortunately.

My favorite for the day was A Life Once Lost. They were fucking incredible and the sound for them was at least decent. And then Randy from Lamb of God coming out and singing on Vulture was icing on the cake. Especially because he was wearing very un-metal cream-sicle colored flip-flops.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Fri July 15th, 2005, 12:20 am

WREKage-Paul wrote:Decent festival, wayyy too much confusion and hassle. Good to see WREKage well-represented...at least until the rain hit. :shock:

I've posted my pics at http://www.paulcashman.com/sotu2005.html. SYL and Chimaera were before Tim got me a photo pass; the rest were afterward so I was in front between the stage and the barricade.

I ran out of room in the camera....time for an upgrade!

Sorry about the weird variance in quality (most especially the fuzziness)...it's the first time I've used the new camera (Kodak CX7530) at a show. \m/
The GWAR pictures are still on my camera.
I'll email them to you as soon as I get them done.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Fri July 15th, 2005, 12:20 am

Mike wrote:My biggest complaint was the shitty sound. It was really bad during Lamb of God. They fixed it somewhat around halfway through but it was still pretty bad. I just couldn't get into their set.

I've never really heard Clutch and wow they are boring. I drove up after dropping off the equipment and I thought I had arrived at Bonnaroo or a Peter Frampton concert because they had that ridiculous wah pedal shit going on.

Unearth continues to not be as good as they used to be.
I was busy at the table during High on Fire unfortunately.

My favorite for the day was A Life Once Lost. They were fucking incredible and the sound for them was at least decent. And then Randy from Lamb of God coming out and singing on Vulture was icing on the cake. Especially because he was wearing very un-metal cream-sicle colored flip-flops.
I concur with this entire post.

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri July 15th, 2005, 9:27 am

hey guys. I was the weird-o that came up to talk with ya'll at the table..(scars on my arms and braces on my legs) anyway I'm kind of 50/50 on saying my 40$ and the whole day was a waste. I shouldve got my ass there once bands started so I could see who I really wanted to see...Madball, Full blown chaos, A lol, devildriver but who I did see that were good are SYL (devin's apperance/antics alone makes gwar member's seem shoddy) and it was very good to finally see hoglan not once but twice for different bands.
Opeth was really good, they are the elite and brought class to the overflooded trendy metalcore of the day/summer and past 4 or 5 years.
I too was like holly a long time ago.
I was into hardcore/metalcore still am but not as much. Back then (1998/9) I was reading and hearing about all this hype on Opeth. I bought two older opeth albums and couldnt get into it. I wasnt as mature in tastes that as I am now. and Opeth is a breath of fresh air when I want to listen to something.
and shit when I heard the first song of clutch I was then seated on the comfortable concrete to save energy. I got up to watch because I was curious and was really drawn to their vibe of old southern groove hard rock. a new fan here. they were like clearlight with vocals. again more variety & substance to an almost one take of music tour. then unearth came on and more of the same.
LOG was a big one I wanted to see; just to hear some live songs from their last album which they finally got a great production sound on. yes, the live sound was too loud & distorted at first but it got better. and props to mr . blyth for shitting on hardcore dancing. that stuff is laced with fairydom.