MANOWAR FEBRUARY 13 @ MASQUERADE

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Mon November 25th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Knucklehead wrote: Really and truly: is Manowar *that* big?
They like to think they are, as noted by their resume on the Masq website.

"* The first metal band to include sword & sorcery imagery in both their lyrics and on their album covers

* The only band ever to record with Orson Welles

* Among the first metal bands to record with an orchestra

* The first band to design and build their own speaker cabinets and now their own guitars as well

* The first metal band to record in Dolby 5.1 and be the spokespersons for SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc)

* The loudest band in the world (a record they have broken on three separate occasions)"

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon November 25th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
I did pay more than $100 to see the Stones, but that was the Stones.
same. I saw them back in 2002 at Turner Field. Fucking awesome!

$75 to see Manowar at The Masquerade in Heaven? Someone is on some serious crack. Fuck that. Even when Megadave played in the backyard their tickets were still like $35 which I thought was reasonable.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Mon November 25th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Ridiculous, but that is part of their schtick. The last time they played Masquerade tickets were $35 if I remember correctly. I might consider going if they were to play 'Hail To England', 'Sign Of The Hammer' and 'The Triumph Of Steel' in entirety. But $75. I imagine tshirts would be $50 easily. You could save money and buy some of the 'Hell On Earth' DVDs to get your fix.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Mon November 25th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Thrashmania wrote:
Knucklehead wrote: Really and truly: is Manowar *that* big?
They like to think they are, as noted by their resume on the Masq website.

"* The first metal band to include sword & sorcery imagery in both their lyrics and on their album covers

* The only band ever to record with Orson Welles

* Among the first metal bands to record with an orchestra

* The first band to design and build their own speaker cabinets and now their own guitars as well

* The first metal band to record in Dolby 5.1 and be the spokespersons for SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc)

* The loudest band in the world (a record they have broken on three separate occasions)"
Huh. Back in '87, I guess, I saw that horrible video for "Blow Your Speakers" and, in my enlightened youth, immediately thought something like "What the fuck is this poseur shit?" (Because, in addition to being enlightened, I was also pretentious and "poser" could only be spelled en français). The crowd was doing that weird x-thing with their arms, taken directly from the 2 Minutes Hate scenes from 1984 and it all seemed forced. And then there were the horrible graphics of speakers blowing up. Abysmal. Can't even remember the song, really.

or maybe it was just that all that beefcake left me confused.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue November 26th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Manowar played a couple US dates around two years back and tickets were $75 then, too. I believe that the $35 price for the last time they played ATL that JMincemoyer quoted is also correct. How long ago was that 10-12 years at least? I heard that only 30-40 people showed up them. I remember not going because at that time I was totally anti-big corporate shows. I still kinda regret that choice.

I think they will pull a bit better now, as metal in general is much bigger than it was a decade ago.

I'll probably do it and consider the cost off-set by not having to travel to see them in a bigger market. I wonder how much the service fees are on a ticket that price...
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Tue November 26th, 2013, 3:05 pm

badcarburetor wrote:How long ago was that 10-12 years at least?
June of 2005 I believe. Wasn't living here at the time unfortunately, but have since heard hilarious stories of their security guys railroading anyone that dared to take photos of the band at any point during the night.

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Tue November 26th, 2013, 6:24 pm

All these years of thinking Manowar are ridiculous have finally paid off!

No, seriously, there are bands I'd pay $75 to see. Problem is, in many of those cases much more than $75 would have to go into a DeLorean and a flux capacitor.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed December 25th, 2013, 12:38 am

I guess I'm going to this. Woman came out of left field on me with a ticket for Xmas. Good call lady!

Edit: I know this is a pipe dream, but I'd love it if they just played Battle Hymns and Hail To England both front to back for me. I mean, It's just going to be me and like 3 other people there anyway.

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Fri January 3rd, 2014, 1:49 pm

HAIL AND KILL!

justinm4bama

Post by justinm4bama » Sun February 9th, 2014, 11:03 pm

So they only played 14 songs for the Chicago show and left out a song from Kings of Metal. Maybe this will help make a decision for some of y'all.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Mon February 10th, 2014, 12:43 am

so the show was over at nine o'clock?
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Mon February 10th, 2014, 8:52 am

I hope the supposed shitty weather doesn't fuck with this.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Mon February 10th, 2014, 2:25 pm

BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Tue February 11th, 2014, 1:54 am

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed February 12th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Any word on this Masq? The Marta trains are still running and I'm willing to walk several miles. The show must go on!